How to measure perimeter without pi?

In summary: Anyway, pi was not discovered by using a polygon with uniform sides, but by using a polygon with curved sides and measuring the sum of the curved sides. So if someone wanted to approximate pi they would need to use a polygon with at least 100 sides!
menniandscience
how to measure perimeter without pi? [before they knew about the pi ratio]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question.

Hurkyl said:
I don't understand the question.

how pi was discovered?

meni ohana said:
how pi was discovered?

Look up some info on archimedes.

Basically the way that pi was discovered was to inscribe a polygon in the circle and measure the sum of the sides. So basically you approximate the circle by some uniform polygon (each side is the same size) and add up all the sizes.

Then you basically increase the number of sides that the polygon has and you find that the ratio of the perimeter of the circle against its diameter reaches pi.

The same kind of process is used in calculus.

chiro said:
Look up some info on archimedes.

Basically the way that pi was discovered was to inscribe a polygon in the circle and measure the sum of the sides. So basically you approximate the circle by some uniform polygon (each side is the same size) and add up all the sizes.

Then you basically increase the number of sides that the polygon has and you find that the ratio of the perimeter of the circle against its diameter reaches pi.

The same kind of process is used in calculus.

i know who is archimedes, can you narrow it?

calculus wan't invented - as much as i know- in ancient times. and approximation is not good enough to genralize and find pi. it had to be someother way.
right now if one wants to know how long is permiter he needs to use pi. but to know there is pi - you need to know the premiter in total acuratly and divide by diameter. problem

meni ohana said:
i know who is archimedes, can you narrow it?

calculus wan't invented - as much as i know- in ancient times. and approximation is not good enough to genralize and find pi. it had to be someother way.
right now if one wants to know how long is permiter he needs to use pi. but to know there is pi - you need to know the premiter in total acuratly and divide by diameter. problem

Here is a webpage about pi:

http://ualr.edu/lasmoller/pi.html

Also the analogy between Archimedes with pi and Newton/Liebniz with calculus is the concept of using limits to find certain quantities. That's what I mean when I use those two things with the same analogy.

the fact that circumference/diameter is the same for all circles is in Euclid, so it predates Archimedes.

Yes, but Archimedes was the first to give a really good calculation of pi- that pi is less that 3 and 1/7 but larger than 3 and 10/71.

In fact, in the bible (I forget which chapter and verse) there is a reference to a cauldron that has circumference 3 times the diameter- so you could say that the earliest approximation to pi was just "3".

1. How can I measure the perimeter of a circle without using pi?

One way to measure the perimeter of a circle without using pi is by using the circumference formula, C = 2r, where C is the circumference and r is the radius. Simply measure the radius of the circle and multiply it by 2 to get the perimeter.

2. Can I use a ruler to measure the perimeter of a circle without pi?

No, a ruler will not work to measure the perimeter of a circle without using pi. A ruler only measures straight lines and cannot accurately measure the curved perimeter of a circle.

3. Why would I need to measure the perimeter of a circle without pi?

There may be instances where pi is not available or not accurate enough for a particular project or experiment. In such cases, using alternative methods to measure the perimeter of a circle can provide more precise results.

4. Are there any other methods besides using the circumference formula to measure the perimeter of a circle without pi?

Yes, there are other methods such as using geometric constructions or approximating the perimeter using polygons. However, these methods may not be as accurate as using the circumference formula.

5. Is it possible to measure the perimeter of a circle without any mathematical calculations?

No, some form of mathematical calculation is necessary to measure the perimeter of a circle. However, there are alternative methods that do not involve using pi, such as using physical objects to trace the perimeter or using a compass and straightedge to create a construction.