How to measure the temperature of an arc discharge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Si14
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I was thinking about measuring the temperature of an arc discharge. The size of the discharge is very small, in the order of micrometer. So it is not possible to put a thermocouple near the it.

Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Get a spectrometer with a fiberoptic probe and measure the spectrum of the light.
 
It's also going to be highly inhomogeneous.

I'm not sure that the word temperature even makes much sense in the context.
 
Thank you. Spectrometer seems to be a good idea. Also, I was wondering if it is possible to measure the temperature from the radiated electromagnetic fields of the arc?
 
Si14 said:
Spectrometer seems to be a good idea. Also, I was wondering if it is possible to measure the temperature from the radiated electromagnetic fields of the arc?

That is what a spectrometer measures.