How to Neutralize THC in Plant Material

• Thread starter Rustastu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutralize
In summary, I think that if you want to neutralize THC in plant material, you can dissolve it by using chromate, nitrite, oxone, and hydrogen peroxide/ferrous ammonium sulfate. These chemicals can destroy metabolites of THC in urine samples, but there is no mention of whether they can react with the original THC and other cannabinoids in the plant.
Rustastu
Recently a friend of mine asked me, if I know how to neutralize THC in plant material. He probably wanted to get rid of the drug, I didn;t ask him that. I have forgotten it but it raised a question in my mind and I do not like questions unanswered.

So I ask this questions:
If I want to neutralize canabinoids in a plant, do I have to dissolve them, first? I probably do not need to do that, because if the plant is very dry, it will soak quickly.
After quite a couple of searches I found out, that chromate, nitrite, oxone, and hydrogen peroxide/ferrous ammonium sulfate are things that can do the job properly. But the information was, that they destroy metabolites of canabinoids in urine samples and there was no time mentioned or if these things can react with original THC and other canabinoids in the dry plant.
I would very much like to know, what chemicals react best with canabinoids, why is that so, how fast it reacts with these terpenoids, what are the outcomes of these reactions, which are gasses, if it is exotermic and generally I would love to see the actual reactions.

Please, if anyone is skilled enough, I think it will be an easy task to post a professional answer to at least some of these questions.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Edit: I've just read a sticky thread, and I suppose what you seek might qualify as an illegal activity, since it would involve possession of a controlled substance. I've removed content to avoid upsetting the moderators. If this discussion is okay, then I might re-post it.

Last edited:
You are aware of the fact you are walking on a thin ice, good. Feel free to post - the worst scenario is that your post will be deleted.

I would guess that ozone reacts preferably with the double bond and cleaves it. Look up "ozonolysis". The other agents you mentioned will perform rather ionic oxidation mechanisms. I would guess that in a first step, the phenolic group is oxidized to some quinone.

Regarding the THC problem, I think that is a purely academic question. No need to try it in reality. So do not be affraid of controlled substances, there is no thin ice to walk on. Otherwise we would not talk here about half of the stuff :D.
On the other hand, if someone knocks on my door I will welcome him dearly, for I cooperate with police departments on many interesting things and can be helpfull.
I suppose you all who are scared live in USA and that's a shame that such a free country let's you be affraid to talk about chemical substances.. :( even about controlled ones

Rustastu said:
I suppose you all who are scared live in USA and that's a shame that such a free country let's you be affraid to talk about chemical substances.. :( even about controlled ones
This is wrong on so many levels. Firstly this is an international forum, at least two of the people in this thread answering you are from Europe. Secondly in the US there is no problem with talking about drugs, no one is going to get arrested for asking questions regarding the chemistry. Lastly the reason you are "on thin ice" is not because you are discussing illegal substances but because this site will not condone posts that can be used by readers to conduct illegal activity. Read this thread so that you have an idea of what is acceptable and what is not.

I really do not want to join the discussion on what is legal and what is not and what can and what can not be used for illegal activities. You are wrong on so many levels :). This is an INTERNATIONAL forum, so you have to admit we are not following any particular state jurisdiction. If we are to follow any, we would have big problems and we will talk mostly about legal stuff and what can and what can not be said. I think science is what we should discuss here.
So, if we conduct this chat within the borders of let's say Netherlands, it would be ok but if we do it online it is not ok because you are from a country where possession of a substance part of which is the THC or any other controlled substance is forbidden? Sorry but this is not acceptable and please stop discussing it because I placed a theoretical question and I am curious what people who know will say. Thank you.
BTW in my country, which lies in the middle of Europe, there is so many controlled substances, that I can bother half of this chat with my stupid remarks that they are talking about forbidden stuff...
Thanks everybody for placing your thoughts here.

Last edited:
You ARE under the jurisdiction of our site guidelines.

1. What is the most effective method for neutralizing THC in plant material?

The most effective method for neutralizing THC in plant material is through decarboxylation. This process involves heating the plant material at a specific temperature for a specific amount of time to convert the inactive THCA (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid) into active THC.

2. Can I use chemical substances to neutralize THC in plant material?

Yes, there are several chemical substances that can be used to neutralize THC in plant material. These include acids, bases, and oxidizing agents. However, these methods may not be as safe or effective as natural methods such as decarboxylation.

3. Is it possible to completely remove THC from plant material?

No, it is not possible to completely remove THC from plant material. Even after undergoing decarboxylation or other methods of neutralization, there may still be trace amounts of THC present. However, the levels will be significantly reduced and may not have psychoactive effects.

4. Can I use heat to neutralize THC in plant material?

Yes, heat is the main component in the process of decarboxylation, which is the most effective method for neutralizing THC in plant material. However, it is important to use the correct temperature and time to avoid damaging the plant material and losing other beneficial compounds.

5. Are there any natural methods for neutralizing THC in plant material?

Yes, decarboxylation is a natural method for neutralizing THC in plant material. Additionally, exposing the plant material to sunlight or air for an extended period of time can also help to break down THC. However, these methods may not be as precise or effective as decarboxylation.