1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to overcome heating due to friction

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    If im rotating an object into the ground ( drilling machine) how can i convert all the heat into something useful without wearing the drilling machine? without using drilling fluid to cool it down. like should i use certain materials that can resist the heat from friction or can i like use the heat from the outer surface of the object and convert it into energy without damaging the object itself?

sorry if the question is stupid but i really need help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3
    i get what your saying but if its a high temp reservoir, could i convert this heat of friction AWAY from the drilling machine and use it?

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

Dale

Without using a fluid to transport the heat you are limited to conduction in the drill itself and radiation. Both of those mechanisms can be used for heat transfer, but they are very slow. That is partly why fluids are usually used.

6. Nov 25, 2015 #5
    By something useful, I assume you mean mechanical energy. So, you are converting mechanical energy from your drill into heat, and now you want to convert the heat back into mechanical energy. Why bother. Also, doing this on a practical basis would not be worthwhile.

Chet

7. Nov 25, 2015 #6

russ_watters

This is an age-old problem and unfortunately there are no good solutions. Eliminating friction to preserve cutting tool life reduces cutting effectiveness and either way, the heat of friction that can be recovered is generally too low grade to be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook