How to overcome heating due to friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of converting all the heat generated from friction in a drilling machine into something useful without using a fluid to cool it down. The potential solutions mentioned include using a cooling source at absolute 0, utilizing conduction and radiation, and converting the heat back into mechanical energy. However, due to the limitations and impracticality of these methods, there are no efficient solutions currently available.
ahmed11
If I am rotating an object into the ground ( drilling machine) how can i convert all the heat into something useful without wearing the drilling machine? without using drilling fluid to cool it down. like should i use certain materials that can resist the heat from friction or can i like use the heat from the outer surface of the object and convert it into energy without damaging the object itself?

sorry if the question is stupid but i really need help

Science news on Phys.org
DaleSpam said:
This would require a cooling source (cold reservoir) at absolute 0.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/carnot.html
i get what your saying but if its a high temp reservoir, could i convert this heat of friction AWAY from the drilling machine and use it?

Without using a fluid to transport the heat you are limited to conduction in the drill itself and radiation. Both of those mechanisms can be used for heat transfer, but they are very slow. That is partly why fluids are usually used.

Likes ahmed11
By something useful, I assume you mean mechanical energy. So, you are converting mechanical energy from your drill into heat, and now you want to convert the heat back into mechanical energy. Why bother. Also, doing this on a practical basis would not be worthwhile.

Chet

Likes ahmed11
This is an age-old problem and unfortunately there are no good solutions. Eliminating friction to preserve cutting tool life reduces cutting effectiveness and either way, the heat of friction that can be recovered is generally too low grade to be useful.

Likes ahmed11

1. How does friction cause heating?

Friction occurs when two surfaces come into contact and rub against each other, creating resistance and generating heat due to the conversion of kinetic energy into thermal energy.

2. Why is it important to overcome heating due to friction?

Heating due to friction can cause damage to equipment and machinery, leading to decreased efficiency and potentially costly repairs. It can also lead to safety hazards, such as fires or explosions.

3. What are some common methods for reducing heating caused by friction?

Some common methods for reducing heating due to friction include lubrication, using materials with low coefficients of friction, and implementing cooling systems.

4. How can we measure the amount of heating caused by friction?

The amount of heating caused by friction can be measured using a thermometer or thermal imaging camera to detect changes in temperature on the surface of the object experiencing friction.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to heating besides friction?

Yes, other factors such as speed, load, and surface roughness can also contribute to heating. These should be taken into consideration when trying to reduce heating caused by friction.