How can I easily remove black from cupronickel after heating it?

• Thread starter Letsurf
  • Start date
In summary, if you're trying to remove black from cupronickel after heating it, citric acid is usually adequate.
Letsurf
So I'm using sparex no.2 to remove the black from silver after I heat it. I just quench in the sparex solution and it removes the black instantly. I'm trying to heat a quarter and use sparex to remove the black but it's not working. The quarter is cupronickel which is a mix of 75% copper, 25% nickel. Any idea what solution I could use to remove the black from the cupronickel after heating it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Letsurf said:
75% copper, 25% nickel
Not in Wiki's description of U. S. "sandwich" quarters. You've got two different alloys in a bath committing electrochemistry on each other.

So what is the solution?

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If it's some sort of numismatic restoration, what is and is not acceptable is not something I know anything about.

Citric acid - mild action .

Phosphoric acid based liquid soldering flux - medium action

Cold bath and soak in each case with agitation . Do not quench .

Several stronger solutions are available but probably not nescessary .

Citric acid is usually quite adequate for removing oxides from a one time heat of clean metal .

Nidum said:
Citric acid - mild action .

Phosphoric acid based liquid soldering flux - medium action

Cold bath and soak in each case with agitation . Do not quench .

Several stronger solutions are available but probably not necessary .

Citric acid is usually quite adequate for removing oxides from a one time heat of clean metal .

Thanks for the tips. I heat, bend, reheat, bend the quarter to make rings. Is there something I can quench it in during this process so when I'm finished it will require minimum hand labor to polish? By the time I'm done shaping it now it is black from the heat and takes several minutes of intense hand polishing with steel wool to get the black off. With silver the sparex makes it a very simple process so I'm just looking for something I can use with the modern quarters that will make it easy.

1. What is Cupronickel and why is it used for pickling?

Cupronickel is a type of alloy that is composed of copper and nickel. It is commonly used in pickling because of its resistance to corrosion and its ability to maintain its strength and durability in acidic environments.

2. How do I prepare Cupronickel for pickling?

The first step in preparing Cupronickel for pickling is to clean the surface with a degreasing agent to remove any oils or contaminants. Then, the surface should be lightly abraded to create a rough surface for the pickling solution to adhere to. Finally, the surface should be thoroughly rinsed with water before proceeding with the pickling process.

3. What type of pickling solution should I use for Cupronickel?

Cupronickel can be pickled using a variety of solutions, but the most commonly used is a mixture of nitric acid and hydrofluoric acid. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when working with these acids.

4. How long should I leave Cupronickel in the pickling solution?

The length of time that Cupronickel should remain in the pickling solution depends on the thickness of the material and the amount of surface oxidation. Generally, a few minutes to an hour is sufficient for pickling. It is important to monitor the process and remove the material when a uniform, clean surface is achieved.

5. What safety precautions should I take when pickling Cupronickel?

When working with pickling solutions, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and an apron to prevent contact with the acids. The pickling process should also be performed in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. After pickling, the solution should be disposed of properly according to local regulations.