How to plug in y variables in estcalc

• MHB
  • Thread starter jedson303
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, Jedson303 is trying to learn how to use a mathematical program called Extcalc. He is using a Linux platform and is a beginner in mathematics. He is having difficulty getting the Extcalc program to plot a graph with a y variable. He is looking for tutorials on how to use Extcalc.
jedson303
I have an extcalc program on my computer. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to plug in "y" variables. (eg. x^2 + y^2) Your widget did this without any problem. (Looked great.) I am just getting underway with trying to understand -- in an elementary way -- certain areas of math based physics. I use a Linux platform. Ubuntu. Do I need a good tutorial on extcalc or would some other program that I could download meet my needs better?

Physics news on Phys.org
jedson303 said:
I have an extcalc program on my computer. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to plug in "y" variables. (eg. x^2 + y^2) Your widget did this without any problem. (Looked great.) I am just getting underway with trying to understand -- in an elementary way -- certain areas of math based physics. I use a Linux platform. Ubuntu. Do I need a good tutorial on extcalc or would some other program that I could download meet my needs better?

Hi jedson303, :)

Can you elaborate a little bit as to what you are trying to do with the Extcalc program? Are you trying to create a list of values for \(x^2+y^2\) when \(x\) and \(y\) take different values?

My real question is more elementary than what you suggest. The function I put up (if it is a legitimate fuction) was just meant as an example. I have completed a pre-calculus and a calculus course, but am pretty much of a beginner in all this. My goal is to be able to understand certain physics concepts in a mathematical way. I need a math program that can help me with this. Extcalc seemed a good prospect for this. But I couldn't get it to create any graph with a y variable. The graph plotter in your MHB Widgets does. So should I download and install a different program, or just learn more about how to use extcalc? I couldn't find any good tutorials on how to use it.

Jeson

Let me just withdraw my question. I have googled all over the place, and extcalc seems to be what I need. I have never used a calculator this complicated before. So I was looking around for tutorials on using it. There don't seem to be any, so I'll just figure it out, bit by bit. Their "help" answers some of my questions. I can't pester you people with this kind of thing.

Jedson

I'm not familiar with the software you are using, but sometimes a workaround to plotting implicit relationships is to use a parametric representation. Will extcalc plot parametric functions?

Re: how to plug in y variables in extcalc

It doesn't seem to. The only options I see for the graph types are standard, polar and 3D. Little by little I am getting it to do most of the things I want. It's not allowing me to plug in functions that use the y-axis seems to be the main problem. It seems pretty complete except for that. I did find a "y" variable, and when I plugged in y+6 it showed a staight line at x=6, which makes sense. But when I tried y^2 it did the same thing. It should, I think, be a sideways parabala.

Jedson

jedson303 said:
My real question is more elementary than what you suggest. The function I put up (if it is a legitimate fuction) was just meant as an example. I have completed a pre-calculus and a calculus course, but am pretty much of a beginner in all this. My goal is to be able to understand certain physics concepts in a mathematical way. I need a math program that can help me with this. Extcalc seemed a good prospect for this. But I couldn't get it to create any graph with a y variable. The graph plotter in your MHB Widgets does. So should I download and install a different program, or just learn more about how to use extcalc? I couldn't find any good tutorials on how to use it.

Jeson

I haven't used this software, but you might be interested in the graphics section of the Extcalc documentation.

jedson303 said:
Let me just withdraw my question. I have googled all over the place, and extcalc seems to be what I need. I have never used a calculator this complicated before. So I was looking around for tutorials on using it. There don't seem to be any, so I'll just figure it out, bit by bit. Their "help" answers some of my questions. I can't pester you people with this kind of thing.

Jedson

We like answering questions so don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

If you need a graph plotter which can plot two dimensional graphs then I would suggest using Desmos. It's quite easy to use. :)

If you need a two dimensional graph plotting software which can be installed in your computer http://www.geogebra.org/cms/ might come in handy.

For three dimensional graphs, you might find the following tool useful. Graph: x^2-y^2

For three dimensional graphs, you might find the following tool useful. Graph: x^2-y^2[
That is awesome. Just what I need. All sorts of other useful things on that site as well. It really helps me if I can view the functions that I am concerned about as they spin themselves out in a 2 or 3 coordinate system -- as needed. Will also take a look at the other ones you mentioned.

So that solves the immediate problem. Many thanks!

jedson

jedson303 said:
That is awesome. Just what I need. All sorts of other useful things on that site as well. It really helps me if I can view the functions that I am concerned about as they spin themselves out in a 2 or 3 coordinate system -- as needed. Will also take a look at the other ones you mentioned.

So that solves the immediate problem. Many thanks!

jedson

You are welcome. :)

You might also check out Octave. It's open-source and installs easily on Ubuntu. It's a MATLAB look-alike - uses similar syntax. It can easily do what you're wanting, and is extremely powerful. Just have to get used to its syntax.

Hi --
Took a look at Octave. (It's possible to download it from the Ubuntu software center). It looks a bit more sophisitated than what I am needing right now. Probably x^2-y^2 for graphics and extcalc for a calculator will meet my needs for the moment. Down the line I may need somehting more powerful.

Thanks.

1. How do I determine which variables are "y" variables in estcalc?

In estcalc, "y" variables are typically the dependent variables, or the outcome variables that you are trying to predict. These variables are usually represented on the vertical or y-axis of a graph.

2. Can I plug in multiple y variables in estcalc?

Yes, you can plug in multiple y variables in estcalc. This can be done by using multiple regression analysis, where you can use several dependent variables to predict a single outcome variable.

3. Do all "y" variables have to be numerical in estcalc?

No, not all "y" variables have to be numerical in estcalc. Some statistical software allows for categorical or binary variables to be used as dependent variables, as long as they are properly coded.

4. How do I interpret the results when plugging in y variables in estcalc?

The interpretation of the results will depend on the specific analysis and model that you use in estcalc. Generally, you will want to look at the significance of the y variables and the coefficient values to determine their impact on the outcome variable.

5. Can I change the order of the y variables when plugging them in estcalc?

Yes, you can change the order of the y variables when plugging them in estcalc. However, the order may affect the results and interpretation of the analysis, so it is important to carefully consider the order of the variables when conducting your analysis.