How to prepare 500 mL of 0.025 M of Glucose solution?

In summary, the conversation is about preparing a 500 mL solution of 0.025 M glucose by diluting a 1 M glucose solution. The calculation involves using the formula M1V1 = M2V2 or calculating the fold dilution. The final volume should be 500 mL and the amount of 1 M glucose solution needed is 12.5 mL.
science_rules

Homework Statement

:
I am using a virtual chemistry laboratory and the directions for the first lab experiment says to prepare 500 mL of 0.025 M of glucose solution by diluting the 1 M glucose solution. (I am re-posting this question due to the fact that the previous one was deleted because it wasn't placed in the appropriate forum.) [/B]

Homework Equations

Prepare: 500 mL of 0.025 M of glucose solution by diluting the 1 M(1 Mole) of glucose solution with distilled water.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to do here and I don't know what I am supposed to multiply. I tried adding the diluted water to it, but it said that it would overflow because I had added 400 mL of the diluted water. It said to indicate in the report, which solutions were mixed together and the amounts of each, but I am not sure how to mix them. I take it the M stands for Moles? And mL stands for mililiters. Do I divide 500 by 1000mL first? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of glucose are in 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose?

How many mL of a 1 M solution of glucose contains that number of moles of glucose?

Ygggdrasil said:
How many moles of glucose are in 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose? 500/1000 X 0.025 moles = 0.025 moles of glucose?

How many mL of a 1 M solution of glucose contains that number of moles of glucose?
0.0125 X 1000 = 12.5 mL?

Ygggdrasil said:
How many moles of glucose are in 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose?

answer to your first question 1) 500/1000 X 0.025 moles of solution = 0.0125 moles?
answer to your second question 2) 0.0125 X 1000 = 12.5 mL?

Correct. To make 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose, you would take 12.5 mL of a 1 M solution of glucose, and add water to that until the final volume is 500 mL.

An easier way remember this approach is the formula M1V1 = M2V2.

In this case, the calculation would be 1M * V1 = 0.025M * 500mL. If you solve for V1 you would get 12.5 mL (essentially the same calculations as you presented above, just placed into one single formula).

Alternatively, you can calculate the "fold dilution." 1 M / 0.025 M = 40, so you are performing a 40-fold dilution. That means you would take 500 mL/40 = 12.5 mL of 1M glucose and dilute to 500 mL.

Likes Jann Peter Simonsen and science_rules
Ygggdrasil said:
Correct. To make 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose, you would take 12.5 mL of a 1 M solution of glucose, and add water to that until the final volume is 500 mL.

An easier way remember this approach is the formula M1V1 = M2V2.

In this case, the calculation would be 1M * V1 = 0.025M * 500mL. If you solve for V1 you would get 12.5 mL (essentially the same calculations as you presented above, just placed into one single formula).

Alternatively, you can calculate the "fold dilution." 1 M / 0.025 M = 40, so you are performing a 40-fold dilution. That means you would take 500 mL/40 = 12.5 mL of 1M glucose and dilute to 500 mL.

Thank you!

1. How do I calculate the amount of glucose needed to make a 500 mL 0.025 M solution?

To prepare a 0.025 M glucose solution, you will need to dissolve 0.0125 moles of glucose in 500 mL of water. The molarity (M) is calculated by dividing the number of moles (mol) by the volume (L) of the solution. Therefore, 0.025 M = 0.0125 mol / 0.5 L. You can then use the molar mass of glucose (180.16 g/mol) to calculate the amount of glucose needed, which is 2.25 grams.

2. What is the procedure for preparing a 500 mL 0.025 M glucose solution?

The procedure for preparing a 500 mL 0.025 M glucose solution is as follows:

1. Weigh out 2.25 grams of glucose using a digital scale.
  2. Add the glucose to a 500 mL volumetric flask.
  3. Add enough water to dissolve the glucose and bring the volume up to the 500 mL mark on the flask.
  4. Mix the solution well to ensure the glucose is fully dissolved.
  5. The resulting solution will be 0.025 M in glucose.

3. Can I use any type of water to prepare the 0.025 M glucose solution?

It is recommended to use distilled or deionized water to prepare the 0.025 M glucose solution. This is because tap water may contain impurities that could affect the accuracy of the solution. If distilled or deionized water is not available, you can use tap water but make sure to filter it before use.

4. How do I adjust the concentration of the glucose solution if I need a higher or lower molarity?

To adjust the concentration of the glucose solution, you will need to adjust the amount of glucose used. For a higher molarity, you will need to dissolve more glucose in the same volume of water. For a lower molarity, you will need to dissolve less glucose in the same volume of water. Use the molarity formula mentioned in question 1 to calculate the new amount of glucose needed.

5. How do I properly store the prepared 0.025 M glucose solution?

The prepared 0.025 M glucose solution should be stored in a clean and tightly sealed container. It is recommended to use a glass bottle or flask to prevent any leaching of chemicals from plastic containers. The solution should be stored in a cool and dark place to prevent microbial growth. It is also important to label the container with the date and concentration of the solution for future reference.