How to prepare to go from Physics to CS?

In summary, the speaker is finishing their Physics Bachelor with a mediocre GPA and is considering pursuing a career in CS/software/data science. They are asking for advice on how to steer their education towards CS, as they have already completed some CS MOOCs and are familiar with Python. They are also wondering what else they should do to prepare themselves for a career in CS.
carllacan
Hi.

I'm finishing my Physics Bachelor this year, and it looks like I'm going to end up with a quite mediocre GPA, around 2.8 or a bit lower (actually a 7 over 10, I'm Spanish). I don't think I will have many problems getting into the Master (which I think you would call grad school) I'm interested in, but I feel like I will have a bit of a rough time getting a good physics job, considering my grades. I think a good solution would be to aim for a career in CS/software/data science, which its something I've always considered.

I'd like to ask those of you who have gone this route (physics to CS) for some advice on how to start steering my education towards CS. I have gone through some CS MOOCs (algorithms, machine learning, programming languages...), I am fluent with Python and I am quick learning other languages, but I don't think there's enough with that. What should I be reading or doing?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyone I know who did CS did it as a second major.

1. How can I improve my coding skills?

One of the best ways to improve your coding skills is to practice regularly. Find coding challenges or projects to work on, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Additionally, take advantage of online resources such as coding tutorials or online courses to learn new languages or techniques.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in math to transition from physics to CS?

While a strong background in math can certainly be beneficial in computer science, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many concepts in computer science can be learned and understood without extensive math knowledge. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and calculus can make certain areas of computer science easier to grasp.

3. What are some key programming languages to learn for a career in CS?

Some commonly used programming languages in computer science include Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. However, the specific languages you should learn may depend on your specific career goals and interests. It can be helpful to research the most in-demand languages in your desired field and focus on learning those.

4. How can I make myself stand out as a physics major applying for CS jobs?

One way to stand out as a physics major applying for CS jobs is to highlight any relevant coursework or projects you completed in your physics degree that have a connection to computer science. You can also consider getting involved in coding clubs, hackathons, or internships to gain practical experience in the field.

5. Will having a physics background give me an advantage in the computer science field?

Having a background in physics can certainly be advantageous in the computer science field. Many concepts and problem-solving skills learned in physics can be applied in computer science. Additionally, having a diverse knowledge base can make you a well-rounded candidate for certain positions. However, it is important to continue learning and developing your skills in computer science to be competitive in the job market.