1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to proof that a curve has no rational points

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Hello, i'm trying to do exercise number 20 from chapter 6 of this http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/index.html, it asks to show that the curve x2 + y2 - 3 = 0 has no rational points. In the answer it has this tip: first show that a2 + b2 = 3c has no solutions, other than the trivial. To do this, investigate the remainders of a sum of squares (mod 4). After you’ve done this, prove that the only solution is indeed the trivial solution...
    I'm in trouble with this part, how can I use the information from the tip?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Writing the hint a different way:

If there is a rational point x = p/q, y= r/s, then (ps)2 + (qr)2 = 3(qs)2

Any square has remainder 0 or 1 mod 4 (consider (2k)2 and (2k+1)2)

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Hi AlephZero, thanks for rewriting it.
    I'd like an opinion about the proof I did.

First I proved, at least I think, that [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4) or [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]1(mod 4).

Proof. Suppose x[itex]\in[/itex]Z. Then either x is even or x is odd. We consider theses cases separately.
    Case 1: Suppose x is even. Then x = 2a, for some integer a. Squaring both sides, [itex]x^{2}[/itex] = 4 [itex]a^{2}[/itex]. By definition of divisibility, 4 | [itex]x^{2}[/itex]. Thus [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4).
    Case 2: Suppose x is odd. Then x = 2b + 1, for some integer b. Squaring both sides, [itex]x^{2}[/itex] = 4[itex]b^{2}[/itex] + 4b + 1 = 4([itex]b^{2}[/itex] + b) + 1, which means [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]1(mod 4).
    So, [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4) or [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]1(mod 4) as we wanted to proof.

The problem: Show that the curve [itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex] - 3 = 0 has no rational points.

Proof. Suppose for the sake of contradiction that there exists an rational point ([itex]x_{0}[/itex], [itex]y_{0}[/itex])[itex]\in[/itex][itex]Q^{2}[/itex]. Then we can write [itex]x_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{p}{q}[/itex] and [itex]y_{0}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{r}{s}[/itex], with p,q,r,s[itex]\in[/itex]Q and q, s[itex]\neq[/itex] 0.
    Replacing ([itex]x_{0}[/itex], [itex]y_{0}[/itex]) in the equation, [itex](ps)^{2}[/itex] + [itex](rq)^{2}[/itex] = 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex].

As we already proved [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4) or [itex]x^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]1(mod 4), it's easy to see that ([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])[itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4) or ([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])[itex]\equiv[/itex]1(mod 4) or ([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])[itex]\equiv[/itex]2(mod 4).

Let's analyze the 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex]. We have two cases, qs is even or qs is odd.
    Case 1: Suppose qs is even. Then qs = 2a, for some integer a. Then 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex]=3[itex](2a)^{2}[/itex]=12[itex]a^{2}[/itex]=4(3[itex]a^{2}[/itex]). So 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex] is divisible by 4, which means 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4).
    Case 2: Suppose qs is odd. Then qs = 2b + 1, for some integer b. Then 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex]=3[itex](2b + 1)^{2}[/itex]= 12[itex]b^{2}[/itex]+12b+3 = 4(3[itex]b^{2}[/itex]+3b) + 3, which means 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]3(mod 4).
    But we know that ([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])[itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4) or ([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])[itex]\equiv[/itex]1(mod 4) or ([itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex])[itex]\equiv[/itex]2(mod 4), for any x,y [itex]\in[/itex] Z and that [itex](ps)^{2}[/itex] + [itex](rq)^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex](mod 4), so it must be the case that 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex] = 0, but this would only be true, if q or s equal zero, as we already said that q,s must be different from zero, we have a contradiction.
    Therefore, it's not the case that exists a rational point in the curve [itex]x^{2}[/itex] + [itex]y^{2}[/itex] - 3 = 0.

Are these proofs right? What do you think?
    Thanks.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4
    You only proved [itex] 3(qs)^{2}[/itex] = 0 (mod 4) and not [itex] 3(qs)^{2}[/itex] = 0

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If might help to be a bit more precise about what you assume for a solution.

For example you can put both fractions over the same denominator and write
    x = p/q, y = r/q
    You can also cancel out any common factors between p q and r, so at least one of the three numbers must be odd...

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6
    Thanks both!
    I did some mistakes.
    1. p,q,r,s [itex]\in[/itex]Z
    AlephZero, as you suggest, I think I should have said that p,q have no common factors, and r,s have no common factors, so they're reduced fractions.

Until the point willem2 said, I think it's ok.
    Then 3[itex](qs)^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4).
    Thus, q or s have to be even. Suppose that q is even. Then p must be odd, as we said the fraction is already reduced. We know that [itex](ps)^{2}[/itex]+[itex](rq)^{2}[/itex][itex]\equiv[/itex]0(mod 4).
    Then [itex](ps)^{2}[/itex]+[itex](rq)^{2}[/itex] = 4f, for some natural f.
    Then [itex](ps)^{2}[/itex]+[itex](rq)^{2}[/itex] = 2(2f), which implies that both square numbers have to be even. We have rq even, as we suppose q to be even, so we must have s even, as p can't be. Until now we found that, p is odd, q is even, s is even, so r is odd.
    I can't figure out any way to show a contradiction from this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

8. Feb 6, 2012 #7
    Actually I can prove this:
    by considering the remainder of a sum of squares (mod 3)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook