How to prove b^2 > 24c for a cubic with 1 max/1 min

• Thread starter teetar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the cubic curve y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d has two distinct points P and Q where the gradient is zero. To show that b^2 > 24c, one must solve for 0 = 24x^2 + 2bx + c and use the fact that for the quadratic to have 2 real solutions, (2b)^2 - 4(24)(c) must be true. This can be verified by graphing the equation and observing the points P and Q where the gradient is zero.
teetar

Homework Statement

The cubic curve [itex] y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d[/itex] has two distinct points P and Q, where the gradient is zero.

Show that [itex] b^2 > 24c[/itex]

Homework Equations

None that I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

There's two distinct points where the gradient is zero, since it's third degree these must be the local maximum and minimums points. I graphed the equation using an online graphing tool and some sliders, and saw that it was in fact true that [itex] b^2 [/itex] has to be greater than [itex]24c[/itex] for there to be these points with zero gradient, but I'm completely lost on how to show this mathematically.

What direction should I go into start myself off? Thanks for any tips!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find the equation for a tangent to a curve?

Svein said:
How do you find the equation for a tangent to a curve?

I could get the gradient of the tangent from the first derivative [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = m = 24x^2 + 2bx + c[/itex], and I believe the equation of the line would then be [itex] y - y_1 = m(x - x_1)[/itex], right? Sorry, I'm not picking up on where to go next.

teetar said:
I could get the gradient of the tangent from the first derivative [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = m = 24x^2 + 2bx + c[/itex], and I believe the equation of the line would then be [itex] y - y_1 = m(x - x_1)[/itex], right? Sorry, I'm not picking up on where to go next.
If you want to find where the gradient (slope) is zero, and the slope of a tangent to the polynomial is m = 24x2 + 2bx + c, then what must you do?

SteamKing said:
If you want to find where the gradient (slope) is zero, and the slope of a tangent to the polynomial is m = 24x2 + 2bx + c, then what must you do?
You must solve for [itex]0 = 24x^2 + 2bx + c[/itex], right? How do I get an inequality out of that?

teetar said:
You must solve for [itex]0 = 24x^2 + 2bx + c[/itex], right? How do I get an inequality out of that?
Re-read the question from the OP.

In order for the quadratic to have 2 (real) solutions, something has to be true about (2b)^2 - 4(24)(c).

Questions that involve derivatives do not belong in the Precalc subsection, so I have moved this thread to the Calculus subsection..

Sorry I'm not replying until now, been busy.

SteamKing said:
Re-read the question from the OP.
Thanks! Guess I just needed to clear my head, now it makes sense. I appreciate the help!

RUber said:
In order for the quadratic to have 2 (real) solutions, something has to be true about (2b)^2 - 4(24)(c).
Thanks a bunch! I don't know why I missed this the entire time, but it is indeed the solution. Of course, due to my organization on paper, I put b in instead of 2b and was faced with 10 more minutes of confusion.

Mark44 said:
Questions that involve derivatives do not belong in the Precalc subsection, so I have moved this thread to the Calculus subsection..
Thanks, sorry for posting in the wrong section.

What is "b" and "c" in the equation b^2 > 24c?

"b" and "c" are variables in a cubic equation, where b represents the coefficient of the middle term and c represents the constant term.

What does it mean for a cubic to have "1 max/1 min"?

A cubic with 1 max/1 min means that there is only one maximum point and one minimum point on the curve of the cubic function.

Why is proving b^2 > 24c important for a cubic with 1 max/1 min?

Proving b^2 > 24c is important because it helps to determine the nature of the cubic function. In this case, it confirms that the cubic has 1 max/1 min, which is useful in understanding the behavior of the function.

What methods can be used to prove b^2 > 24c for a cubic with 1 max/1 min?

There are several methods that can be used to prove b^2 > 24c for a cubic with 1 max/1 min, such as using calculus, algebraic manipulation, and graphical analysis.

What implications does b^2 > 24c have on the graph of a cubic with 1 max/1 min?

If b^2 > 24c is proven to be true for a cubic with 1 max/1 min, it means that the curve of the cubic function will have a characteristic shape, with one maximum point and one minimum point. It also helps in identifying the exact coordinates of these points on the graph.