1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove b^2 > 24c for a cubic with 1 max/1 min

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cubic curve [itex] y = 8x^3 + bx^2 + cx + d[/itex] has two distinct points P and Q, where the gradient is zero.

Show that [itex] b^2 > 24c[/itex]
    2. Relevant equations
    None that I can think of.

3. The attempt at a solution
    There's two distinct points where the gradient is zero, since it's third degree these must be the local maximum and minimums points. I graphed the equation using an online graphing tool and some sliders, and saw that it was in fact true that [itex] b^2 [/itex] has to be greater than [itex]24c[/itex] for there to be these points with zero gradient, but I'm completely lost on how to show this mathematically.

What direction should I go in to start myself off? Thanks for any tips!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

How do you find the equation for a tangent to a curve?

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3
    I could get the gradient of the tangent from the first derivative [itex] \frac{dy}{dx} = m = 24x^2 + 2bx + c[/itex], and I believe the equation of the line would then be [itex] y - y_1 = m(x - x_1)[/itex], right? Sorry, I'm not picking up on where to go next.

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to find where the gradient (slope) is zero, and the slope of a tangent to the polynomial is m = 24x2 + 2bx + c, then what must you do?

6. Oct 9, 2015 #5
    You must solve for [itex]0 = 24x^2 + 2bx + c[/itex], right? How do I get an inequality out of that?

7. Oct 9, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re-read the question from the OP.

8. Oct 9, 2015 #7

RUber

Homework Helper

In order for the quadratic to have 2 (real) solutions, something has to be true about (2b)^2 - 4(24)(c).

9. Oct 9, 2015 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Questions that involve derivatives do not belong in the Precalc subsection, so I have moved this thread to the Calculus subsection..

10. Oct 9, 2015 #9
    Sorry I'm not replying until now, been busy.

Thanks! Guess I just needed to clear my head, now it makes sense. I appreciate the help!

Thanks a bunch! I don't know why I missed this the entire time, but it is indeed the solution. Of course, due to my organization on paper, I put b in instead of 2b and was faced with 10 more minutes of confusion.

Thanks, sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted