How to prove the irrationality of an expression

• Thread starter bjgawp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, proving the irrationality of expressions involving irrational numbers such as pi + 2 or e - root(2) can be difficult and may require advanced mathematical principles such as series expansions and definite integrals. While proofs for the irrationality of individual numbers like root(2), e, and pi exist, proving the irrationality of expressions involving these numbers can be challenging and may still be unknown.
bjgawp
I've been thinking about this for a bit and I was wondering how one would go proving the irrationality of an expression such as pi + 2 or e - root(2). At a first (seemingly intuitive) thought, I figured that the sum of two irrational numbers (call them x and y) should be irrational as well but then the values x = pi and y = 1 - pi came to mind. Just a curious thought from a first-year university student.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suspect (as your examples show) that there is no general approach. For your two examples, it is trivially obvious that they are irrational (if pi+2 was rational, then pi would be, if e-root(2) was rational, the e would be algebraic - it isn't).

Proofs that some numbers are irrationals are easy. Euclid gave a proof that root(2) is irrational - legend has it this was first discovered by Pythagoras, who thought it was such a subversive fact that his students were threatened with death if they told anybody about it!

Suppose root(2) is rational and equals p/q, where p and q have no common factor.
Then 2 = p^2/q^2, so p^2 = 2q^2, so p^2 is an even number
If p^2 is even, then p must be even. Write p = 2k.
Then 4k^2 = 2q^2, so 2k^2 = q^2.
Therefore q^2 is even and q is even.

So p and q must have a common factor 2, which contradicts the assumption. Therefore root(2) is irrational.

Proofs for pi and e are more complicated - but I expect Google will find something.

these questions can be unbelievably hard. e.g. i think it is still unknown whether say e and pi are independent transcendentals//////////.?? sounds crazy. anyone remember?

Thanks everyone! I'm aware of the irrationality of the transcendental numbers e and pi, just proving them when they are involved in operations with other irrational numbers was my question. I find it interesting that the two aforementioned numbers are irrational yet we still aren't sure (or rather, haven't proven I think) whether if e + pi or e - pi are irrational or not.

A lot of the "standard" proofs for "nice" irrational constants involve assuming the opposite, then showing it leads to an integer between zero and one (an obvious contradiction).

Proof of e's irrationality is very easy using the series expansion. Proof of pi's irrationality is rather more involved - the simplest version I've seen is the proof of the irrationality of pi^2 (a stronger result than proving pi is irrational), and even that involved showing that assuming rational pi^2 led to some definite integral yielding an integer between 0 and 1.

Proof of transcendence can be very, very difficult without assuming non-elementary theorems like Gelfond-Schneider and Lindemann-Weierstrass. But once those are assumed it becomes surprisingly easy to prove the transcendence of e, pi and e^pi (but not pi^e - which is still a mystery as to its irrationality/transcendence).

The few times when a proof of transcendence becomes trivially easy is when the number is constructed to be transcendental, like Liouville's constant.

1. What does it mean for an expression to be irrational?

An irrational expression is one that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a fraction with whole numbers in the numerator and denominator. Examples of irrational expressions include √2, π, and e.

2. How do you prove that an expression is irrational?

There are several methods for proving the irrationality of an expression. One method is by contradiction, where you assume that the expression is rational and then show that it leads to a contradiction. Another method is by using the rational root theorem, which states that if an expression can be written as a rational number, then its numerator and denominator must be factors of the constant and leading coefficient, respectively.

3. Can all irrational expressions be proven to be irrational?

No, not all irrational expressions can be proven to be irrational. For example, the expression π can be approximated to any degree of precision, but it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. Therefore, it cannot be proven to be irrational.

4. What are some common irrational expressions?

Some common irrational expressions include square roots of non-perfect squares, such as √2, √5, and √7. Other common irrational expressions include π, e, and various trigonometric functions.

5. Why is it important to prove the irrationality of an expression?

Proving the irrationality of an expression is important because it helps to understand the properties and characteristics of real numbers. It also helps in solving mathematical problems and equations, and in constructing proofs for more complex mathematical concepts. Additionally, knowing whether an expression is irrational or rational can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.