How to read a biology textbook?

In summary, taking fewer credits is one way to boost comprehension, but it's not the only option. Skimming the text before going to lecture and highlighting key points in the lecture can also help. Additionally, marking up parts of the chapter while taking notes can help you remember the information better.
john16O
Reading a biology textbook is obviously different than reading a math textbook. I tend to have to re-read the chapters in my biology text quite frequently. This is very time consuming considering that I am taking 23 credits this semester. So I was wondering if there are any techniques that one could use in order to boost there comprehension of the material, in this case biology being the material. Thank you for the advice and help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've completed a 23 credit semester. One technique for boosting comprehension is to take less credits. However, you are already on the ride, so you might try doing some concept mapping or other note-taking while you are on your first pass through the material. Include page numbers; that way you can review your concept maps and cross-check anything that doesn't make sense during your review.

yes, I have heard of the concept maps before, but I do not fully understand how to construct one. I know that they are more beneficial because the brain learns through connections as oppose to the linear style of note outlining. Do you make concept maps? If so, how do you make them, is there a good website that you could reference me to? Thank you!

Yes, concept maps are really great tools for learning biology. It's basically constructing a flow chart to relate concepts. If your library has Campbell's Biology text, there's a study guide that accompanies it that includes an introduction to concept mapping. It forces you to think about the relationships between topics and helps you identify where there are gaps in your knowledge (i.e., you know X leads to Y, but realize you don't know what to write over the arrow explaining HOW X leads to Y, you know you have a knowledge gap to fill).

Some concept mapping tips and how-tos:
http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/~johnson/misconceptions/concept_map/cmapguid.html
http://depts.washington.edu/biology/hhmi/conceptmaps/
And here is a site with some concept maps that are already started for you, so you can use them as a template to understand how to do them, or if they are the topics you're currently learning, you can use them to start your concept maps.
http://www.biology.lsu.edu/introbio/tutorial/Concept-maps/1002/concept-maps.html My other suggestion is not to read the book several times. Instead, skim the chapter quickly before you go to lecture, so you have the gist of the topic and what the book chapter covers, and identify anything that leaves you really confused. Focus in on illustrations and any content highlighted in boxes...these are often placed there because they are either key concepts or difficult ones to grasp without added illustration. Then, go to lecture. If the lecture doesn't clarify the things that were unclear when you skimmed the text, that's something you'll want to stop and ask your prof about after class, because you know that going back to the book won't help on those topics. While you're taking notes, also mark up anything that you think is a bit fuzzy for you in the lecture but you recall was in the textbook...circle it, highlight it, write a giant question mark in the margin, whatever works for you...then go back and read that part of the chapter in depth to fill in the missing information in your notes. Now everything you need should be in your notes for studying. You can always review some sections of the chapter while studying, but it's not the same as reading the chapter end-to-end repeatedly.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How should I approach reading a biology textbook?

Before diving into the content, it is important to preview the textbook by looking at the table of contents, headings, and subheadings. This will give you an idea of the overall organization and structure of the book. Then, read the introduction and summary at the end of each chapter to get an overview of the main concepts. Finally, read each section carefully, taking notes and summarizing the key points.

2. How can I retain the information while reading a biology textbook?

Active reading techniques such as highlighting, underlining, and taking notes can help with retention. Additionally, it is important to periodically review the material and quiz yourself on the key concepts. Creating visual aids, such as diagrams or concept maps, can also aid in retention.

3. Is it necessary to read every single word in a biology textbook?

No, it is not necessary to read every word in a textbook. Instead, focus on understanding the main concepts and use the supporting details to reinforce your understanding. Skim through sections that you are already familiar with or that are less relevant to your studies.

4. How can I make connections between different concepts while reading a biology textbook?

One way to make connections is to actively think about how the information you are reading relates to what you already know. You can also use visual aids, such as concept maps, to visually represent the connections between different concepts. Additionally, discussing the material with classmates or a study group can help you make connections and deepen your understanding.

5. What should I do if I come across difficult or confusing passages while reading a biology textbook?

If you encounter difficult or confusing passages, try breaking them down into smaller sections and re-reading them. You can also refer to outside sources, such as online resources or your instructor, for clarification. It may also be helpful to discuss the material with classmates or a study group to gain a better understanding.