How to rearrange this equation?

• Thread starter medougie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rearrange
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to rearrange the equation 1/M (F-μmg)=μmg/m to solve for μ. The suggested solution is to bring both parts with μ on the same side, factor it out, and then multiply both sides by M. This simplifies the equation to μ = F/(M+m)g.
medougie
How to rearrange this equation?
apparently 1/M (F-μmg)=μmg/g
goes to
μ=F/(M+m)g
but I don't see how please help
i never learned the simple maths and I am paying for it now

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first equation looks wrong - assuming this comes from physics, it has inconsistent units.
My guess: 1/M (F-μmg)=μmg/m
In that case, you can simplify the m/m on the right side, and multiply both sides with M afterwards.

I guess the second equation should be μ=F/((M+m)g)? Better: ##\displaystyle \mu = \frac{F}{(M+m)g}##

yes your right i wrote that wrong it should have been 1/M (F-μmg)=μmg/m.
what do i do once i multiply both sides by M?
I have μ on both sides and I am solving for μ

I have μ on both sides and I am solving for μ
Bring both parts with μ on the same side, factor it out, and you are just one step away from the solution.

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. In this case, the variable we want to solve for is μ. The first step is to multiply both sides of the equation by g to get rid of the denominator on the right side. This gives us:

1/M (F-μmg) = μmg/g
⇒ (F-μmg) = μmg
Next, we can distribute the 1/M to the terms inside the parentheses on the left side:

F - μmg = μmg
⇒ F = μmg + μmg
⇒ F = 2μmg
Now, we can divide both sides by 2mg to isolate μ:

F/(2mg) = μ
Finally, we can rearrange the terms on the right side to get μ on its own:

μ = F/(2mg)
Since M+m = 2m, we can substitute this in for 2mg to get the final rearranged equation:

μ = F/(M+m)g

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation involves isolating a specific variable on one side of the equation. This is done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to move terms from one side of the equation to the other.

2. What is the first step in rearranging an equation?

The first step in rearranging an equation is to identify the variable that you want to isolate. Then, use inverse operations to move all other terms to the opposite side of the equation.

3. How do I know if I rearranged the equation correctly?

You can check if you rearranged the equation correctly by substituting the value of the variable back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then you have rearranged it correctly.

4. Can I rearrange an equation with multiple variables?

Yes, you can rearrange an equation with multiple variables. However, it may require more steps and more advanced algebraic techniques, such as using the distributive property or factoring.

5. Are there any tips for rearranging equations more efficiently?

One tip for rearranging equations more efficiently is to always start by isolating the variable with the most terms attached to it. This can help simplify the equation and make it easier to rearrange. Also, be sure to carefully track the inverse operations you use and always double check your work.