Crystal Reconstruction: Methods and Possibilities

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystal
In summary, it is possible to manipulate the appearance of a crystal based on the solvent used and the amount of solvent used.
JG89
Suppose I have a substance that has been crystallized. Now suppose I break down those crystals into powder, grains, etc. How can I reconstruct that powder into a crystal again? Do I just dissolve it into a solvent and then evaporate the solvent?

Another quick question - is it possible to manipulate the appearnace of the crystal based on what solvent I use, the amount of solvent I use, etc?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
JG89 said:
How can I reconstruct that powder into a crystal again? Do I just dissolve it into a solvent and then evaporate the solvent?

Either that, or melt and cool down to solidify.

JG89 said:
is it possible to manipulate the appearnace of the crystal based on what solvent I use, the amount of solvent I use, etc?

Let me put it this way - crystal form can depend on the solvent used and/or other substances dissolved. I have heard organic chemists say "If you have not seen other crystalline forms of your substance, you have not tried hard enough". Those working in pharma told me horror stories about products that were approved for use, but one day started to crystallize in another form and they were unable to find the reason (and as far as I know you can't sell different form, you have to sell the one you have permission for). But it is not easy to predict.

To be specific, the compound the I am trying to crystallize is usually comprised of nearly opaque, pearly crystals. When it is in its base form, it is dissolved in diethyl ether, then precipitated in its hydrochloride form by adding an acetone/HCL acid solution (or by bubbling dry HCL gas through the solution). This results in opaque-ish, pearly crystals. My problem is, if I were to break these crystals down and reassemble them by crystallizing them in, say, methanol (or IPA), the result is transparent crystals which bear no resemblence to the original crystals. How can I reassemble the crystals so that they look the same as the original?

The most logical approach would be to neutralize the hydrochloride and recrystallize by adding HCl (that is, by repeating the same procedure). Note it is not guaranteed to work.

What do you need these crystals for? If you are getting clear ones they are probably 'better' - less inclusions and impurities.

1. What is crystallography and why is it important in reconstructing a crystal?

Crystallography is the study of crystals, their structures and properties. It is important in reconstructing a crystal because it allows us to understand the arrangement of atoms within a crystal, which in turn helps us predict its physical, chemical, and mechanical properties.

2. What techniques are used to reconstruct a crystal?

There are several techniques used to reconstruct a crystal, including X-ray crystallography, electron diffraction, and neutron diffraction. Each of these techniques involves analyzing the diffraction patterns produced when a beam of radiation is passed through a crystal.

3. What information is needed to reconstruct a crystal?

In order to reconstruct a crystal, we need to know the unit cell parameters, the symmetry of the crystal, and the atomic positions within the unit cell. This information can be obtained through various crystallographic techniques and software.

4. What challenges are faced in reconstructing a crystal?

One of the main challenges in reconstructing a crystal is obtaining high quality crystals for analysis. This requires precise control of the conditions in which the crystal is grown, as well as the ability to handle and manipulate the crystal without damaging it. Additionally, the complexity of some crystal structures can make reconstruction a difficult and time-consuming process.

5. How is crystal reconstruction used in different fields of science?

Crystal reconstruction has many applications in various fields of science, including material science, chemistry, biology, and geology. It is used to study the structure and properties of new materials, determine the composition of unknown substances, and understand the mechanisms of biological processes. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies and medicines.