How to remember what happens to I, V and R in a circuit?

In summary, in a series circuit the brightest bulb will have the least resistance, have the greatest voltage and the same current as the dimmest bulb.
IDK10
There are two circuits, each consist of a cell and two bulbs, in one circuit they are in parallel, and in the other they are in series. What's the best way to remember which lamp has the greatest pd, current and resistance when one bulb is brighter than the other in the series and parallel circuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too keen on the idea of rote learning stuff like this. There are some very straightforward 'Laws' which you can use and you can guarantee they will give you the right answers.
Firstly, we all know that V=I/R (and the other two combinations) and that Power = VI. Then:
Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) says that the total voltage drop around a series circuit (loop) is zero. That means that the total supplied volts adds up to the total of voltage drops across all the other elements. (aka Volts are 'shared' in series)
Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) says that the total current into a node (connection point for two or more components) is Zero. (aka Current is shared in parallel)
So, using KVL, what can you say about the volts across the two bulbs and the Cell voltage in a series circuit? What can you say about the Current flowing through the series circuit?
Work it out with ant particular example you can think of - then another one. That will show you the trend.

Likes nasu and cnh1995
sophiecentaur said:
I'm not too keen on the idea of rote learning stuff like this. There are some very straightforward 'Laws' which you can use and you can guarantee they will give you the right answers.
Firstly, we all know that V=I/R (and the other two combinations) and that Power = VI. Then:
Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) says that the total voltage drop around a series circuit (loop) is zero. That means that the total supplied volts adds up to the total of voltage drops across all the other elements. (aka Volts are 'shared' in series)
Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) says that the total current into a node (connection point for two or more components) is Zero. (aka Current is shared in parallel)
So, using KVL, what can you say about the volts across the two bulbs and the Cell voltage in a series circuit? What can you say about the Current flowing through the series circuit?
Work it out with ant particular example you can think of - then another one. That will show you the trend.
In terms of your question, the total voltage drops in the two bulbs = the emf of the cell, and the current flowing through a series circuit is constant.

But what I mean is, what if the two bulbs are of different brightness, and are in series, what would be an easy way to visualise which one has the highest current and voltage, and the same for in parallel?

Brightness is related to the power dissipated: ##P=I_{through}V_{across}##.
As @sophiecentaur , asks
in series, how are the currents through each resistor related?
Then, if one bulb is brighter than the other, what can you say about the voltage across the brighter bulb?

robphy said:
Brightness is related to the power dissipated: ##P=I_{through}V_{across}##.
As @sophiecentaur , asks
in series, how are the currents through each resistor related?
Then, if one bulb is brighter than the other, what can you say about the voltage across the brighter bulb?
Greater, so...:
In series:
The brightest bulb has less resistance, greatest voltage and same current as the dimmest bulb.
In parallel:
The brightest bulb has less resistance, greater current and the same voltage as the dimmer bulb?

Likes sophiecentaur
IDK10 said:
In series:
The brightest bulb has less resistance, greatest voltage and same current as the dimmest bulb.
In parallel:
The brightest bulb has less resistance, greater current and the same voltage as the dimmer bulb?
Power dissipated in the bulb will be I2Rbulb (this comes from P=Vacross*Ithrough).

Use this expression in series and parallel circuits and see in which case which bulb should glow brighter than the other.

IDK10 said:
in series, what would be an easy way to visualise which one has the highest current and voltage
Hang on there! Will they have different currents?

IDK10 said:
But what I mean is, what if the two bulbs are of different brightness, and are in series, what would be an easy way to visualise which one has the highest current and voltage

in the same post you stated the answer to this Q ...

IDK10 said:
the total voltage drops in the two bulbs = the emf of the cell, and the current flowing through a series circuit is constant.

and again in a subsequent post

IDK10 said:
In series:
Dave

IDK10 said:
In series: The brightest bulb has less resistance, greatest voltage and same current as the dimmest bulb.
How can that be true? If the bulb is brighter then it is dissipating more power. For the same current (series circuit), the VI must be greater, which means the V must be higher so R (=V/I) must be higher. The higher resistance bulb 'steals' more of a share of the volts.
Stick to the logic and analyse your 'summing up' statements to see whether or not they can be true.

sophiecentaur said:
Hang on there! Will they have different currents?
NO, was just kind of quickly typing that, sorry.

IDK10 said:
NO, was just kind of quickly typing that, sorry.
Had shift on for too long, the o in 'NO' was meant to be lower case.

Likes sophiecentaur

What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This means that if the voltage increases, the current will also increase, and if the voltage decreases, the current will also decrease.

What is the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance?

The relationship between current, voltage, and resistance is described by Ohm's law. It states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I=V/R.

How do I remember the symbols for current, voltage, and resistance?

A common mnemonic for remembering the symbols for current, voltage, and resistance is "I Very Rarely". This stands for I (current), V (voltage), and R (resistance).

What happens to current, voltage, and resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the circuit, while the voltage and resistance will vary. The total voltage in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual voltages, and the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances.

What happens to current, voltage, and resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same throughout the circuit, while the current and resistance will vary. The total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual currents, while the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.