How to show group velocity = particle velocity?

In summary, the group velocity of an electron wave can be calculated by taking the derivative of its energy with respect to its momentum, resulting in a value of v, the electron's velocity. This is found by using the expression for relativistic momentum, p = gamma*m*v, and plugging it into the equation for group velocity, Vg = dE/dp. By simplifying and solving for Vg, we can see that the group velocity is equal to the particle velocity of the electron, v.
doanta

Homework Statement

In an electron wave, show that the group velocity = particle velocity of the electron

Homework Equations

E = [tex] p^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]

V_{g} = \frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{dE}{dp} = \frac{d}{dp} \sqrt{(p^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4})}
[/tex]

[tex]
=\frac{1}{2} \frac{(2pc^{2})}{\sqrt{(p^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4})}}
[/tex]

[tex]
=\frac{pc^{2}}{\sqrt{p^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4}}}
[/tex]

after this point I'm stuck, I tried factoring out [tex] m^{2}c^{4} [/tex] and ended up with
[tex]

\frac{p}{m\sqrt{(\frac{p}{mc})^2 +1}}

[/tex]

but I'm still not sure what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
doanta said:
[tex]
V_{g} =\frac{pc^{2}}{\sqrt{p^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4}}}
[/tex]

Multiplying both sides by [tex]\sqrt{p^{2}c^{2} + m^{2}c^{4}}[/tex] and then squaring both sides, will have you end with something nicer

Thanks for the hint, however I'm still really stumped on what to do next. I divided and squared both sides and I get this:

[tex]

V_{g}^{2}(p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4})=pc^{2}

[/tex]

I've tried subbing in [tex]p=mv[/tex] and I get:

[tex]

V_{g}^{2}(m^{2}v^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4})=mvc^{2}

[/tex]

Pull out an [tex]m[/tex] and [tex]c^{2}[/tex]

[tex]
V_{g}^{2}(mv^{2}+mc^{2})=v
[/tex]

and now I'm stuck again =(

You have made a mistake:

[tex]p=\gamma m v\neq mv[/tex]

Sorry, what's [tex]\gamma[/tex]? I've always learned that Momentum = Mass*Velocity?

Relativistic Momentum is redefined as [tex]p=\gamma m v[/tex] where [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

(An alternative way to look at it is that mass scales with velocity, that is, that relativistic mass is [tex]\gamma m_0[/tex] where [tex]m_0[/tex] is the object's rest mass, as measured from its rest frame.
Personally I don't like this take on the subject, and greatly prefer the redefinition of momentum instead, since redefining mass as relativistic mass makes for some inconsistent applications of the concept in formulas. Or at least, it is far more confusing than redefining momentum.)

On a related note, you can find that the expression for kinetic energy is [tex]K=(\gamma-1)mc^2[/tex], this is something that can be derived (What is the work you apply to bring a mass from 0 velocity to a velocity v)

A useful algebraic identity for this exercise is [tex]\gamma ^2 = 1+\gamma ^2 \frac{v^2}{c^2}[/tex]

Would this work also?

[tex]V_{g} = \frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{dE}{dp} = \frac{d}{dp} \frac{p^{2}}{2m}

=\frac{1}{2m} \frac{d}{dp} p^{2}

=\frac{1}{2m} 2p

=\frac{p}{m}

=\frac{mv}{m}

=v
[/tex]

doanta said:
Thanks for the hint, however I'm still really stumped on what to do next. I divided and squared both sides and I get this:

[tex]

V_{g}^{2}(p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4})=pc^{2}

[/tex]

You did not square the right side. It should be:

[tex]V_{g}^{2}(p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4})=p^2c^{4}[/tex]

1. What is the difference between group velocity and particle velocity?

Group velocity is the velocity at which the energy of a wave packet (group of waves) propagates. Particle velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at which an individual particle in the medium moves as a result of the wave. Group velocity is dependent on the medium, while particle velocity is dependent on the properties of the individual particles.

2. How is group velocity related to particle velocity?

The group velocity is equal to the particle velocity when the frequency of the wave is constant. This means that when the wave is monochromatic (single frequency), the group velocity and particle velocity will be the same. However, for waves with varying frequencies, the group velocity and particle velocity can differ.

3. Can group velocity be greater than the speed of light?

Yes, group velocity can be greater than the speed of light in certain mediums. This is known as superluminal (faster than light) propagation, which occurs when the phase velocity of the wave is greater than the speed of light. However, this does not violate the laws of relativity as no information or matter is actually moving faster than light.

4. How can group velocity be measured?

Group velocity can be measured by observing the movement of a wave packet in a medium. This can be done by using a method called the "stroboscopic method" where a series of snapshots of the wave packet are taken at regular intervals, and the distance traveled by the center of the wave packet is measured. The group velocity can then be calculated using the formula: group velocity = Δx/Δt, where Δx is the distance traveled and Δt is the time interval between snapshots.

5. What is the significance of group velocity in physics?

Group velocity is an important concept in quantum mechanics and wave mechanics. It helps us understand the behavior of wave packets and how they propagate through a medium. It is also used in various real-life applications, such as in telecommunications, where the group velocity of a signal determines the rate at which information can be transmitted. Additionally, the study of group velocity has led to the development of other important concepts, such as dispersion and wave packets, which have further applications in various fields of science and technology.