How to show I_n + A is invertible

• Thread starter HappyN
  • Start date
In summary: So, (I + A) is the inverse of (I - A + A^2 - A^3 +...+ (-1)^(k-1)A^(k-1)), and thus (I + A) is invertible.In summary, to show that I_n + A is invertible, we can use the fact that A^k = 0 and the Binomial theorem to prove that (I + A) is the inverse of (I - A + A^2 - A^3 +...+ (-1)^(k-1)A^(k-1)).
HappyN
Let A be an n x n matrix such that A^k=0_n,n (the n x n zero matrix) for some natural integer k. How would you show that I_n + A is invertible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that (I+A)^-1 exists and compute it.

Last edited:
Think about the expansion of (1+x)^-1 by the Binomial theorem.

@lurflurf, this works fine when A is singular. For example if n = 2 and A =
0 1
0 0

^Oops clearly A is singular, I meant suppose A+I is nonsingular, that is needed, and in fact always true.

Hi all,

I tried to prove this for myself, but did not get anywhere :-(

AlephZero said:
Think about the expansion of (1+x)^-1 by the Binomial theorem.

@lurflurf, this works fine when A is singular. For example if n = 2 and A =
0 1
0 0

I don't quite get this... how does the Binomial theorem help here? According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem the expansion is only defined for non-negative integers?

I meant what the Wiki page calls "Newton's generalized binomial theorem".

This gives an infinite series expansion in general, and the series may not converge.

But you know that A^k = 0, and therefore A^m = 0 for any integer m > k, so in this case the series has a finite number of non-zero terms.

If you know how to multiply (x-y)(x+y)? or even (1-x)(1+x)? you can do this.

we know that A^k is the 0-matrix, right?

well, let's look at the product:

(I + A)(I - A + A^2 - A^3 +...+ (-1)^(k-1)A^(k-1)) =

I - A + A^2 - A^3 +...+ (-1)^(k-1)A^(k-1) + A - A^2 + A^3 -...+(-1)^(k-1)A^k

= I + (-1)^(k-1)A^k = I

1. What is the definition of an invertible matrix?

An invertible matrix is a square matrix that has a unique solution for its inverse. This means that when multiplied together, the matrix and its inverse will result in the identity matrix.

2. How do I know if I_n + A is invertible?

I_n + A is invertible if and only if A is invertible. This is because the identity matrix I_n is always invertible, and when added to an invertible matrix A, the resulting matrix will also be invertible.

3. Can you provide an example of a matrix where I_n + A is invertible?

One example is the matrix A = [1 2; 3 4]. The identity matrix in this case would be I_n = [1 0; 0 1]. When added together, we get the matrix [2 2; 3 5], which is invertible.

4. What is the significance of showing that I_n + A is invertible?

Showing that I_n + A is invertible is important because it shows that the matrix A is also invertible. This means that the system of equations represented by A has a unique solution, and it can be solved using various matrix operations.

5. How can I prove that I_n + A is invertible?

To prove that I_n + A is invertible, you can use the determinant method. If the determinant of I_n + A is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. You can also use row reduction to show that the matrix can be transformed into an identity matrix, which is a key property of invertible matrices.