Solving Complex Math Problems: (-192x^2(4x-3)-4(27-64x^3))/(4x-3)^2

• Thread starter Elpinetos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the conversation was about simplifying a complicated expression and finding an easier way to solve it. The first step was to expand the brackets and simplify terms with x's, followed by factoring out (4x-3). However, this led to a more complicated expression. The suggestion was made to use synthetic or long division, but the person was looking for a simpler method. It was then suggested to check for cancellations by breaking down the term (27-64x^3) into its factors. The conversation ended with the realization that experience and practice in math problems help in finding easier solutions.
Elpinetos
I am currently stumped with a mental blackout, how do you simplify this again?

(-192x^2(4x-3)-4(27-64x^3))/(4x-3)^2

Wolfram Alpha spits out -32x-12, but how do you get there? :(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Expand out each bracket first and then simplify the terms with x's in them.

2(x+1) = 2x+2

x^3 +x^2 +2x^3 + 2x^2 = 3x^3 + 3x^2

After doing that, try to factor out (4x-3)

Likes 1 person
Now I have (-512x^3-576x^2-108)/(16x^2-24x+9), but how do I proceed?
I don't see how I can factor out (4x-3) out of this :/

Elpinetos said:
Now I have (-512x^3-576x^2-108)/(16x^2-24x+9), but how do I proceed?
I don't see how I can factor out (4x-3) out of this :/

Hi, try using synthetic or long division

Likes 1 person
There must be an easier way, right? Oo

Since I got this from having to find the derivative of y=(27-64x^3)/(4x-3) and this is one of the basic problems in my textbook. I'm quite sure it doesn't involve long division oO

Well, you are the one that wanted to know how WA got its answer.

I think if you re-examine the numerator in you original expression, the term (27 - 64x^3) is the difference of two cubes. If you break this term into its factors, and then check for cancellations, it might be easier than expanding everything at first.

Likes 1 person
Got it, thank you...
Fresh day, fresh mind

So simply make a polynomial devision BEFORE deriving... But how can I know that beforehand? :/

That's what the experience of doing a lot of math problems gives you.

What is the first step in solving this complex math problem?

The first step in solving this problem is to simplify the numerator and denominator by factoring out common factors.

How do I factor out common factors in this equation?

To factor out common factors, you can use the distributive property and the rules of exponents. In this case, you can factor out -4 from the numerator and (4x-3) from the denominator.

Can I simplify the remaining terms after factoring out common factors?

Yes, after factoring out common factors, you can simplify the remaining terms. In this case, you can simplify -192x^2 and 27-64x^3 by combining like terms and using the laws of exponents.

What do I do with the squared term in the denominator?

The squared term in the denominator means that you have a fraction with a power. To simplify this, you can use the rule (a/b)^n = a^n/b^n. In this case, you can square the 4x-3 term in the denominator to get (4x-3)^2.

Is there any other simplification that can be done to solve this problem?

Yes, after factoring out common factors and simplifying terms, you can use the quotient rule for exponents to simplify the remaining terms. This will result in a final answer of -4(4x+3).