How to Solve a Geometric Progression Problem with Challenging Terms

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary, the conversation is about finding the possible values of the first term in a geometric progression, where the second term exceeds the first term by 20 and the fourth term exceeds the second term by 15. The conversation goes through various methods and solutions, ultimately concluding that the answer given is incorrect and that a numerical solution is the best option. It is also noted that there may be two possible values for the first term.
crays
Hi guys,
In a geometric progression, the second term exceeds the first term by 20 and the fourth term exceeds the second term by 15. Find the possible values of the first term.

ar - a = 20
ar3 - ar = 15

ar = 20 + a

(20 + a)3 - (20 + a) = 15

But this method seem to be wrong. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks about as good as you could expect. it eleminates r. If you let x= 20+ a, then you have x3- x= 15. By the "rational root theorem", the only possible rational roots are integer divisors of 15: 1, 3, 5, and 15. It is easy to see that none of those work (13- 1= 0, 33- 3= 24, 53-5= 120, and 153- 15= 3360) and so x, and therefore a must be an irrational number. Probably a numerical solution is the best you could do.

but the answer says -40 and -8. I don't get it @_@.

Did you check that solution? if a= -40 and r= -8, then ar= 320 which is NOT 20 more than -40.

Or if you meant a= -8 and r= -40, then ar= 320 again and the second terms is still NOT 20 more than the first term.

Either the answer given is wrong or you are mis-reading the problem.

it says, find the possible values of the first term. Values, so i assume, there is 2 possibility?

[tex]a(r-1)=20[/tex]

[tex]ar(r^2-1)=15[/tex]

try dividing them

Ouch! I think I will go back and delete my post so I can pretend I never wrote it!
That's very nice, rockfreak667.

crays, your original mistake (and mine, since I didn't notice it) was thinking that since ar= 20+ a, ar3- ar= 15 would be (20+r)3- (20+r)= 15. That wrong because it is only r that is cubed in ar3. It is NOT
(ar)3.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Geometric Progression Problem?

A Geometric Progression Problem is a mathematical problem that involves a sequence of numbers where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next term. For example, the sequence 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, ... is a geometric progression with a common ratio of 2.

2. How do you find the sum of a Geometric Progression?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric progression is Sn = a(1-rn)/(1-r), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Alternatively, if the common ratio is less than 1, the sum can be found using the formula Sn = a(1-rn)/(1-r).

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite Geometric Progression?

A finite geometric progression has a limited number of terms, whereas an infinite geometric progression continues infinitely. This means that the sum of a finite geometric progression can be calculated, while the sum of an infinite geometric progression is only possible if the common ratio is less than 1.

4. How is a Geometric Progression used in real life?

Geometric Progressions can be found in many real-life situations, such as population growth, interest rates, and investment returns. They are also used in fields such as physics and biology to model exponential growth and decay.

5. What is the importance of understanding Geometric Progressions in mathematics?

Understanding Geometric Progressions is essential in mathematics because they have many real-life applications and are the basis for more complex mathematical concepts, such as geometric series and geometric means. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.