How to Solve an Integration Substitution Problem?

In summary, the integral \int \frac {cos(\sqrt{x})}{\sqrt{x}}dx can be solved by substituting u=x^0.5 and using the formula \int u^n = \frac{u^{n+1}}{n+1}. The correct answer is 2sin(\sqrt{x}) + C.
UrbanXrisis
[tex]\int \frac {cos(\sqrt{x})}{\sqrt{x}}dx =?[/tex]

Here's what I did:
[tex]= \int x^{-0.5}cosx^{0.5}dx [/tex]
subsitute:
[tex]u= cos(\sqrt{x})[/tex]
[tex]du=-sin(\sqrt{x})(0.5x^{-0.5})dx[/tex]
[tex]-\frac {1}{0.5sin(\sqrt{x})}\int u du[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{2}{sin(\sqrt{x})} 0.5cos^2(\sqrt{x})[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{sin(\sqrt{x})}cos^2(\sqrt{x})[/tex]

I know I did this wrong. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
[tex]\int \frac {cos(\sqrt{x})}{\sqrt{x}}dx =?[/tex]
[tex]-\frac {1}{0.5sin(\sqrt{x})}\int u du[/tex]
Be careful. You cannot remove [itex]\frac{1}{\sin(\sqrt(x))}[/itex] from the integral, because it depends on x! (u depends on x too).

You just made a bad choice for substitution. No biggy, just try a different one. Not too many obvious option left anymore..

Well, first of all you can't just take that "[itex]sin(\sqrt{x})[/itex]" out of the integral- it's a function of x!

DON'T substitute of the whole cos x0.5, just for x0.5.

Let u= x0.5 so that du= 0.5x-0.5dx and 2du= x-0.5.

Now, its easy!

Try substituting u=x^1/2...

oops...beat to the punch...

is the answer [tex] 2sin(\sqrt{x})+c?[/tex]

yep...u can always check by deriving the answer and see if you get the original function.

Related to How to Solve an Integration Substitution Problem?

1. What is integration substitution?

Integration substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a technique used in calculus to simplify and solve complex integrals. It involves substituting a variable with another, usually denoted as u, to transform the integral into a simpler form that can be easily solved.

2. When should I use integration substitution?

Integration substitution should be used when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains a composition of functions, such as a polynomial inside a trigonometric function. In such cases, using u-substitution can make the integral easier to solve.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable u?

The substitution variable u should be chosen in a way that simplifies the integral. In general, u should be a part of the integrand that can be easily differentiated and its differential also appears in the integral.

4. Do I always need to use integration substitution?

No, integration substitution is not always necessary. It is only used when the integrand contains a composition of functions that makes it difficult to solve using other integration techniques. In some cases, other techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more suitable.

5. Can I use integration substitution for definite integrals?

Yes, integration substitution can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When solving definite integrals using u-substitution, the limits of integration must also be adjusted to match the new variable u.