How Do You Calculate Probability for a Normally Distributed Variable?

In summary, Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur, expressed as a number between 0 and 1. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, while experimental probability is based on actual results. To calculate probability, divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. Independent and dependent events differ in the impact they have on each other. By understanding probability, one can make informed predictions about the likelihood of an event occurring, which can be useful in decision making and risk assessment.
twrtoad
P(10≤x≤12)
σ=2,μ=11
x= a normally distrributed random variable

I don't even know where to begin to solve this. I was hoping someone could show me how and explain it to me like I am a 6 year old.
thanks everybody in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let y = (x-μ)/σ. Then y is a standard normally distributed random variable. The domain of interest is then -1/2≤y≤1/2. Look up a table for the standard normal distribution to get the answer.

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from conducting an experiment or observing real-world events.

How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you a decimal number between 0 and 1, which can be converted to a percentage by multiplying by 100.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that have no impact on each other, meaning the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. Dependent events are events where the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of the other.

How can I use probability to make predictions?

By understanding the probability of certain outcomes, you can make educated predictions about the likelihood of an event occurring. This can be useful in decision making and risk assessment.