How to solve for q after finding derivative (derived) equation?

• Thread starter noid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, you started with the wrong equation, then tried to solve for q but it was too complex. You may be able to find the roots numerically.
noid
I have started with the formula.

T = 0.5q+4q^(-1/2)+9/q

I have derived and am trying to solve for q but have gotten caught up on how to solve when I have to subtract two variables with different base numbers and different exponents.

2aj3l7q.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
noid said:
I have started with the formula.

T = 0.5q+4q^(-1/2)+9/q

I have derived and am trying to solve for q but have gotten caught up on how to solve when I have to subtract two variables with different base numbers and different exponents.

2aj3l7q.jpg

Any ideas?

For one thing you made a mistake to start. If you divide both sides by q then the left side should be T/q. The correct way to go is probably to set q^(-1/2)=w, then express the other powers of q in terms w. If you work it through you'll get a quartic equation in w, a polynomial equation with w^4 as the highest power. The good news is that in principle, has a analytic solution. The bad news is that it's so complex as to to be basically useless. Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in deriving the equation you showed us? Where did it come from??

Sorry for the misunderstanding: The second line is actually the derivative in respect to q of the first line (I forgot to put ' after T). Then from the second line I want to find what q is (after setting T to 0).

noid said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding: The second line is actually the derivative in respect to q of the first line (I forgot to put ' after T). Then from the second line I want to find what q is (after setting T to 0).

Ah, ok. I should have spotted that. If you don't have a T in it then you can still change it into a quartic equation in w. Then you could hope it factors, but I don't think it does. If not you'll just have to find the roots numerically.

1. What is a derivative equation?

A derivative equation is an equation that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. Why do we need to solve for q after finding the derivative equation?

Solving for q allows us to find the value of the function at a specific point, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions.

3. What is the process for solving for q after finding the derivative equation?

The process involves setting the derivative equation equal to a given value and then solving for q using algebraic manipulation and/or the rules of differentiation.

4. Can we use the derivative equation to find the value of q at any point on the function?

Yes, the derivative equation can be used to find the value of q at any point on the function by plugging in the desired value for the independent variable.

5. How does solving for q help us understand the behavior of a function?

By solving for q, we can determine the slope of the function at a specific point, which provides information about the rate of change of the function at that point. This can help us understand the overall behavior of the function and make predictions about its future values.