1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve for q after finding derivative (derived) equation?

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    I have started with the formula.

T = 0.5q+4q^(-1/2)+9/q

I have derived and am trying to solve for q but have gotten caught up on how to solve when I have to subtract two variables with different base numbers and different exponents.

2aj3l7q.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For one thing you made a mistake to start. If you divide both sides by q then the left side should be T/q. The correct way to go is probably to set q^(-1/2)=w, then express the other powers of q in terms w. If you work it through you'll get a quartic equation in w, a polynomial equation with w^4 as the highest power. The good news is that in principle, has a analytic solution. The bad news is that it's so complex as to to be basically useless. Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in deriving the equation you showed us? Where did it come from??

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    Sorry for the misunderstanding: The second line is actually the derivative in respect to q of the first line (I forgot to put ' after T). Then from the second line I want to find what q is (after setting T to 0).

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, ok. I should have spotted that. If you don't have a T in it then you can still change it into a quartic equation in w. Then you could hope it factors, but I don't think it does. If not you'll just have to find the roots numerically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook