What Mistakes Did I Make in Solving This Circuit Problem?

• Thread starter needhelpperson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving Kirchoff's law and determining the potential and current in a circuit. The person discussing the problem has made an error in assuming that Vbc and Vdc are equal, leading to an incorrect answer. They are advised to divide the circuit into parts and carefully calculate the potential and current in each part to find the correct solution.
needhelpperson
How do i solve this? I wasn't given any examples at all. But I've tried to do this.

Iab + Iad = Ibc + Idc <--------- they have to or else Kirchoff's law violated.

so Vab = Vad but I'm not sure if Vbc = Vdc?
i'll continue assuming Vbc = Vdc

Vab/40 + Vad/20 = Vbc/70 + Vdc/50

Va=0.45714286 Vc

Vbd/60+ Vc/50 = Va/20

Vbd = 0.1714286Vc

i thought that Va + Vc + Vbd = 20

solved for Vc and i got Vbd as 2.105263 V

The answer is 0.94V. Obviously i got something wrong here. Can some one explain to me where I went wrong, and how i can fix this. Thanks

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
needhelpperson said:
so Vab = Vad but I'm not sure if Vbc = Vdc?
i'll continue assuming Vbc = Vdc
Your problem is you continue to asume that Vbc=Vdc, that lead you to the wrong answer.
First, you should find the current for the whole circuits, you can divide the circuits into parts .Then you can find the pottential of each part, then you can find the current of each resistance, then you subtract them to find the dirrection of the current through Rbd. Be careful at the last part.

It seems like you have correctly applied Kirchoff's law to the circuit, but there may be some issues with your calculations. Here are some steps you can follow to solve the circuit problem:

1. Start by drawing the circuit diagram and labeling all the known values, such as the resistors and voltage sources.

2. Apply Kirchoff's voltage law to each closed loop in the circuit. This means that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

3. Apply Kirchoff's current law at each junction in the circuit. This means that the sum of all currents entering a junction must equal the sum of all currents leaving that junction.

4. Use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage drops across each resistor.

5. Use the equations from steps 2 and 3 to create a system of equations. This will help you solve for the unknown voltages and currents in the circuit.

6. Solve the system of equations to find the values of Vab, Vad, Vbc, Vdc, and Vbd.

7. Double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given values and Kirchoff's laws.

If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a classmate or your instructor for clarification. It's also important to carefully check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. Good luck with your circuit problem!

1. How do I identify the components in a circuit?

To identify the components in a circuit, you can refer to the circuit diagram or schematic. The components will typically be labeled with symbols, such as resistors (R), capacitors (C), and inductors (L). You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance, capacitance, or inductance of each component.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. You can use the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn to calculate the total resistance. Make sure to convert all values to the same unit (ohms) before adding them together.

3. How do I calculate the total capacitance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of all individual capacitances. You can use the formula Ctotal = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn to calculate the total capacitance. Make sure to convert all values to the same unit (Farads) before adding them together.

4. How do I use Kirchhoff's laws to solve a circuit problem?

Kirchhoff's laws are used to analyze and solve complex circuits. The first law, known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop. By applying these laws, you can create a system of equations to solve for the unknown variables in a circuit.

5. How do I troubleshoot a circuit problem?

To troubleshoot a circuit problem, you can follow a systematic approach. First, check all connections to ensure they are secure. Then, use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Compare these values to the expected values based on your calculations. If there is a significant difference, there may be a faulty component. You can also use a breadboard to test different configurations and isolate the issue. Finally, double-check your calculations and circuit diagram to ensure there are no errors.