What Is the Lambert W Function and How Does It Solve Transcendental Equations?

• Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date
In summary, solving an equation involves using various mathematical operations and properties to isolate the variable and determine its value. This can be done by simplifying both sides of the equation, combining like terms, and applying the inverse operations. It is important to follow the order of operations and check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation. Practice and understanding of basic algebra concepts are crucial in successfully solving equations.
pergradus

Homework Statement

I came up against this equation doing some homework and couldn't figure out how to solve it. I need a numerical value for x.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{xe^x}{e^x -1} - 5 = 0[/tex]Maybe I'm just forgetting some basic log rules or something, but how would you solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't look like it can be solved using (elementary) algebraic methods. Assuming the question was copied correctly, maybe solving this involves the Lambert function?

This is what is called a transcendental equation and there is no algebraic way to solve it. Instead you can consider the solution as the intersection of two graphs in this way:

Simplifying your equation, we obtain,

[tex]\frac{x}{5} = -e^{-x} + 1, x \neq 0,[/tex]

one can then plot two graphs, one graph for the function on the LHS, and the other for the function on the RHS. Intersection points are your solutions.

eumyang said:
This doesn't look like it can be solved using (elementary) algebraic methods. Assuming the question was copied correctly, maybe solving this involves the Lambert function?

The solution is needed to derive Wein's Law by differentiating Plancks function with respect to lambda. So it's part of a larger problem. Not sure what the Lambert function is.

Coto said:
This is what is called a transcendental equation and there is no algebraic way to solve it. Instead you can consider the solution as the intersection of two graphs in this way:

Simplifying your equation, we obtain,

LaTeX Code: \\frac{x}{5} = -e^{-x} + 1, x \\neq 0

one can then plot two graphs, one graph for the function on the LHS, and the other for the function on the RHS. Intersection points are your solutions.

Hmm thanks for the tip. Is there no analytic way to solve it though? Also, how do you know it is transcendental by looking at it?

pergradus said:
The solution is needed to derive Wein's Law by differentiating Plancks function with respect to lambda. So it's part of a larger problem. Not sure what the Lambert function is.Hmm thanks for the tip. Is there no analytic way to solve it though? Also, how do you know it is transcendental by looking at it?

Please, also see here who the Lambert function is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_function. The article is well written.

The graphic intersection solution is the one to use and using a calculator, you can get a 3,4 decimal approximation of the solution.

pergradus said:

Homework Statement

I came up against this equation doing some homework and couldn't figure out how to solve it. I need a numerical value for x.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{xe^x}{e^x -1} - 5 = 0[/tex]

Maybe I'm just forgetting some basic log rules or something, but how would you solve this?
Was this actually a homework problem? It seems a very peculiar problem for homework. Especially if you have not yet been introduced to "transcendental functions" or "transcendental equations". As dextercioby said, it can be solved using Lambert's W function which is defined as the inverse function to [itex]xe^x[/itex]

That is, you can manipulate this equation to be [itex]ye^y= constant[/itex] and then say that [itex]y= W(constant)[/itex] where "W" is Lambert's W function.

1. What is the first step in solving an equation?

The first step in solving an equation is to simplify both sides by combining like terms and using the distributive property if necessary.

2. How do I isolate the variable in an equation?

To isolate the variable, you need to get it on one side of the equation by performing the inverse operation of any constants or coefficients that are attached to it. For example, if the variable is multiplied by 3, you would divide both sides by 3 to cancel it out.

3. Can I add or subtract terms on both sides of the equation?

Yes, you can add or subtract terms on both sides of the equation as long as you do the same operation on each side. This maintains the balance of the equation.

4. What should I do if I have fractions in the equation?

To simplify equations with fractions, you can multiply both sides by the least common denominator (LCD) to get rid of the fractions. Then, proceed with solving the equation as you would normally.

5. How do I check if my solution is correct?

To check your solution, plug the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct.