Why Does This Inverse Trigonometry Problem Have Four Solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solutions for the equation tan-1[2x/(1-x2)]+cot-1[(1-x2)/2x]=2π/3. The attempt at solving the equation results in two solutions, 1/√3 and -√3. However, there are four solutions listed in the book, causing confusion. The conversation also explains the relationship between cotangent and tangent functions.
vkash

Homework Statement

tan-1[2x/(1-x2)]+cot-1[(1-x2)/2x]=2π/3

2. The attempt at a solution

tan-1[2x/(1-x2)]=2π/6
take tan on both sides
2x/(1-x2) =sqrt(3)
quadratic equation so it should have 2 solutions(sqrt(3) and sqrt(1/3)).But this question has four solution.. Where am i missing solutions. Can you please help me to figure out the error..
thanks
---------------
vikash

Physics news on Phys.org
According to Wolframalpha, there are two solutions, 1/√3 and -√3. How do you know that there are four solutions?

vkash said:
tan-1[2x/(1-x2)]=2π/6

How did you get from the first line to the second?

Bread18 said:
How did you get from the first line to the second?
cot-1(a/b) = tan-1(b/a)

I.e.: cot(x) = 1/tan(x)

eumyang said:
According to Wolframalpha, there are two solutions, 1/√3 and -√3. How do you know that there are four solutions?

Thanks for link.
There are more two answers in book that's why i ask. But now they will be marked as wrong.

SammyS said:
cot-1(a/b) = tan-1(b/a)

I.e.: cot(x) = 1/tan(x)
Ah right, missed that. Thanks.

1. How do I identify the correct inverse trigonometric function to use?

To solve an inverse trigonometry question, you need to first identify which inverse trigonometric function is relevant to the given problem. Use the following guidelines to determine the correct function:

• If the problem involves finding the angle measure, use the inverse trigonometric function that has the same name as the trigonometric function in the problem.
  • If the problem involves finding the side length, use the inverse trigonometric function that is the reciprocal of the trigonometric function in the problem.

2. What is the process for solving an inverse trigonometry question?

The general approach for solving an inverse trigonometry question is as follows:

1. Identify the inverse trigonometric function to use based on the given problem.
  2. Substitute the known values into the inverse trigonometric function formula.
  3. Solve the resulting equation for the variable.
  4. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve inverse trigonometry questions?

Yes, you can use a scientific calculator to solve inverse trigonometry questions. Most scientific calculators have buttons for the inverse trigonometric functions, such as sin⁻¹, cos⁻¹, and tan⁻¹. Just make sure that your calculator is set to the correct angle mode (degrees or radians) before solving the problem.

4. How do I know if I need to use radians or degrees in my inverse trigonometry question?

The choice between using radians or degrees in an inverse trigonometry question depends on the given problem. If the problem involves angles measured in degrees, then use degrees in your calculations. If the problem involves angles measured in radians, then use radians in your calculations. It is important to pay attention to the units given in the problem and make sure to use the correct units in your calculations.

5. What should I do if I get a negative or undefined answer when solving an inverse trigonometry question?

If you get a negative answer when solving an inverse trigonometry question, it usually means that you have chosen the incorrect inverse trigonometric function. Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct function. If you get an undefined answer (such as dividing by zero), it means that the given problem is not possible to solve using inverse trigonometry. In this case, you may need to reevaluate the problem or use a different approach to solve it.