Solving the r(λ) Null Schwarzschild Geodesic: Methods and Challenges

• Thread starter ozone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve the r(λ) null Schwarzschild geodesic equation in terms of the affine parameter λ. The equation is given in terms of total energy, angular momentum, gravitational constant, mass of central body, distance from center, and affine parameter. The individual tried to solve it analytically and numerically using Mathematica, but the results were not perfect. They are looking for a method that can give an answer in terms of a series of polynomials or similar.
ozone

Homework Statement

I am looking to solve the r(λ) null Schwarzschild geodesic in terms of the affine parameter λ, but I have not seen this done anywhere and I am not sure that it is even possible to do this somewhat close to analytically. As best I know there is no use-able boundary conditions for this ode, but I will be happy with any method which can give me an answer in terms of a series of polynomials or anything of that sort.

The equation is given as

[itex] (\frac{dr}{dλ})^2 = E^2 - \frac{L^2}{2r^2} + \frac{GML^2}{r^3} [/itex]

I tried seperating, solving the radial coordinate and then back-solving for λ, but this was very far from being useful. Mathematica is not much help in solving this ode sadly. I even tried a u=1/r substitution and did not get very far that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The equation is given as (\frac{dr}{dλ})^2 = E^2 - \frac{L^2}{2r^2} + \frac{GML^2}{r^3} where E= total energy, L= angular momentum, G= gravitational constant, M= mass of central body, r= distance from center, λ= affine parameter. The Attempt at a Solution I am not sure if there is any way to analytically solve this ode, but I tried to solve it numerically using Mathematica. I used the NDSolve command to compute the solution for different values of the constants. The results were satisfactory, though not perfect.

1. How do I determine the order of the ODE?

The order of an ODE is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, if the equation contains a first-order derivative, it is a first-order ODE. If it contains a second-order derivative, it is a second-order ODE.

2. What is the general solution to an ODE?

The general solution to an ODE is the most general form of the solution that satisfies the equation. It contains one or more arbitrary constants that are determined by applying initial or boundary conditions.

3. How can I solve a first-order ODE?

A first-order ODE can be solved using various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a substitution method. The chosen method depends on the form of the equation.

4. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit solution?

An explicit solution expresses the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable and any known parameters, while an implicit solution does not explicitly express the dependent variable. Implicit solutions often involve multiple variables and cannot be solved for the dependent variable in closed form.

5. Can all ODEs be solved analytically?

No, not all ODEs can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex to have a closed-form solution and require numerical methods to find an approximate solution. However, most first and second-order ODEs have analytical solutions.