How to Solve Traffic Flow Problems Using Linear Algebra?

In summary, the equations state that traffic flow into an intersection must equal traffic flow out, and that the traffic flow along three one way streets can be found by solving a system of linear equations.
vs55

Homework Statement

the following statement shows the traffic flow(in cars/minute) along 3 one way streets through the intersections A, B and C
Set up and solve a system of linear equations(using the augmented matrix for the system) to help you find the flows x,y and z. Be sure to generate the RREF of the system
a link of the drawing:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2276/trafficflow.jpg

Homework Equations

traffic flow in must equal flow out

The Attempt at a Solution

so to start things off, equations i put:
3 + z = 3
6 + x = 7
5 + y = 4
is this at all right?

Attachments

• trafficflow.jpg
    trafficflow.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 753
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vs55 said:

Homework Statement

the following statement shows the traffic flow along 3 one way streets through the intersections A, B and C
Set up and solve a system of linear equations(using the augmented matrix for the system) to help you find the flows x,y and z. Be sure to generate the RREF of the system
a link of the drawing:
http://img216.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=27718_trafficflow_122_18lo.jpg

Homework Equations

traffic flow in must equal flow out

The Attempt at a Solution

so to start things off, equations i put:
3 + z = 3
6 + x = 7
5 + y = 4
is this at all right?

I don't think so. For your first equation, 3 + z = 3 ==> z = 0, which doesn't make any sense. How about giving us the problem exactly as it was worded? Useful information would be what the numbers in your drawing represent.

I believe that what you have as "relevant equations" means that the traffic flow into and out of an intersection must be equal.

this is the problem exactly as it was worded, but if u insist...i added "cars/minute" :|
i also added the label on the intersections in the image A,B and C
and sorry i thought the numbers were obvious :S, they represent the flow out that that arrow

i'm guessing i have to go take away some of the flow as well? I'm just not sure how to start the problem

If my previous interpretation of what traffic flow in equals traffic flow out is on track, here's what you have:
Node A (upper left intersection) x + 5 = y + 7
Node B (upper right int.) z + 6 = x + 3
Node C (lower int.) y + 3 = z + 4

Solve this system.

i got:
-x + z =-3
-z +y = 1
-y + x = z
to help set up the matrix:
-x 0 z
0 y -z
x -y 0
augmented matrix:
-1 0 1 |-3 ---->(1)
0 1 -1 |1------>(2)
1 -1 0 |2------>(3)

after some math:
(1)/-1
(3)-(1)
(3)+(2)

1 0 -1 | 3
0 1 -1 | 1
0 0 0 | 0

1x -1z = 3
1y -1z =1
z=free

z=1,y=2,x=4
is this right?

i got:
-x + z =-3
-z +y = 1
-y + x = z
The last equation should be -y + x = 2, but otherwise I got the same solution that you showed.

thx for ur help!

Related to How to Solve Traffic Flow Problems Using Linear Algebra?

1. What is traffic flow in the context of linear algebra?

Traffic flow in linear algebra refers to the mathematical model used to represent the movement of vehicles on a road network. It involves using matrices and vectors to represent the flow of traffic and solve for various parameters such as travel time, traffic density, and capacity of a road network.

2. How is traffic flow modeled using linear algebra?

Traffic flow is typically modeled using a system of linear equations, where each variable represents a different aspect of traffic, such as the number of vehicles, their speed, and the capacity of the road. These equations can be represented in matrix form and solved using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion.

3. What are the benefits of using linear algebra for modeling traffic flow?

Using linear algebra allows for a more accurate and efficient representation of traffic flow compared to traditional methods. It also allows for the analysis of complex road networks and the prediction of traffic patterns under different conditions. Additionally, linear algebra techniques can be easily implemented in computer simulations and traffic management systems.

4. What are some real-world applications of traffic flow and linear algebra?

Traffic flow and linear algebra have various applications in transportation planning, traffic management, and urban design. For example, they can be used to optimize traffic signal timings, design efficient road networks, and predict the impact of new developments on traffic patterns.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear algebra for traffic flow modeling?

While linear algebra is a powerful tool for traffic flow modeling, it does have some limitations. It assumes a continuous flow of traffic and does not account for individual driver behavior or unexpected events such as accidents or road closures. Additionally, it may not be suitable for modeling highly complex or dynamic traffic patterns.