What Happens When You Have Eternal Life?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: I do not fear death, I fear the cessation of life. That's when I'll really be in trouble. :)In summary, eternal life would be torture if you are not interested in heaven.
Saint
What would you do if you had eternal life?
Would you be bored ? :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends entirely on the quality of such a life. Do I still suffer from physical and mental illnesses? Do I still have to go out and slave away to fend off hunger, buy clothing, and pay for the roof over my head? Am I still disadvantaged by this mediocre mind and unhealthy body? At what age am I "frozen": young, middle-aged, or old?

I believe that enternal life would eventually be torture...
If you were to live forever and everyone you met or cared for died how would it make you feel...

It also depends upon the quality of life

There are many varibles that would determine wheter or not it would be enjoyable life.

Eternal life

It has been said that an immortal soul has more responsibility than a mortal one. This could be good news or bad however you wish but I believe the universe is composed entirely of consciousness and we never "die". It is impossible to prove anything exist "outside" or independent of the mind because all we have ever known and all that we ever know is in the mind. Life is a state of consciousness.

From what I have heard and what little physics I know time doesn't exist anywhere in the universe except in the mind of man. During near death experiences (NDEs) people are said to have exeprienced "no time", so probably after death, the mind is not as fragmented as it is in the "material world". But what do I know this is just my speculation? There are other mystics in the world besides Christ who have come back from the dead. Maybe you might try reading the "Tibetan Book of the Dead" or go do DMYT with South American shamans.

In any event I hope enternity involves a remote control and no snow.

if the eternal life is something like that mentioned in the book of Revelation in Bible, abundant with life water and fruits of eternal trees, you no need to toil, just sit down and enjoy, no diseases, no hunger, no pain.
is that good?

Eternal physical life 'would' in fact be torture. It is like an idea of walking up a staircase with no end, or falling down a never ending elevator shaft. It is an incredibly perverse idea. We as humans, would be disconnected from our natures for seeking some sort of truth. It would be as if we are dogs, and are being teased by our hypothetical owners with a piece of sausage we will never get. A little subtle. A little naive. Although gets the point across. :)

I'd rather be dead.

if the eternal life is something like that mentioned in the book of Revelation in Bible, abundant with life water and fruits of eternal trees, you no need to toil, just sit down and enjoy, no diseases, no hunger, no pain.
is that good?
Not to me it isn’t. After all, if there’s no hunger then why the need for fruits and water? I suppose what you mean is hunger would exist but could easily be quelled by eating from a never-ending abundance of fruit. Well, that’s just not good enough! (I want my iguana tail!). In the scheme you’ve outlined an individual could not “just sit down and enjoy” because he’d have to get up and collect some fruit to eat in order to satisfy his belly cycles (or because his butt was sore). This is an outrage which would have me demanding a refund. It’s a permanent vacation in a phony paradise…such things are better suited for a living Hell !

B.head, you got your point.
From the perspective of christianity,
a man who enters heaven had undergone hardship in the world, he knows what is pain etc., therefore, he can enjoy the good things in heaven even if the bad things in the world will never occur in his eternal life in heaven.

He already knew the contrast between imperfect world and Perfect World (Heaven), therefore, eternal life with the blessing of God will not bore him.

Last edited:
Tom McCurdy said:
I believe that enternal life would eventually be torture...

Yes, very true... probably good for the first 1000 years or so. But what about when every human is dead, like they all will die, plus you will only remember things from the past 100 years at most

This is the very question that made me look at the concepts of heaven and hell. Once I realized that heaven (eternal bliss) would be boring after a couple of days I figured that there can be no heaven. Without heaven we have no basis for hell.

The concept of singularity has a better ring. But, again, do I ever want to cease exploring the universe and it's infinite worlds?

I like to think that eternity and infinity are ideas that give me a universe that is a play ground. When I am finished with physical life on earth, I will go play elsewhere.

love&peace,
olde drunk

I'm sure one can find ways to live with theirself.

When I am finished with physical life on earth, I will go play elsewhere.

What is your elsewhere?
How do you go there after your body is dead?

Saint said:
B.head, you got your point.
Damn, I was shocked and delighted to hear you say this, thank you! :smile:

From the perspective of christianity,
a man who enters heaven had undergone hardship in the world, he knows what is pain etc., therefore, he can enjoy the good things in heaven even if the bad things in the world will never occur in his eternal life in heaven.
Yes, I understand what you're saying here. I was attempting to show that as good as it might be, there would still be room for improvement, which is another way of saying...

He already knew the contrast between imperfect world and Perfect World (Heaven), therefore, eternal life with the blessing of God will not bore him.
...that it wouldn't be perfect.

olde drunk said:
This is the very question that made me look at the concepts of heaven and hell. Once I realized that heaven (eternal bliss) would be boring after a couple of days I figured that there can be no heaven. Without heaven we have no basis for hell.

The concept of singularity has a better ring. But, again, do I ever want to cease exploring the universe and it's infinite worlds?

Firstly, by using the term eternal bliss you just said that you'd always be happy and would never be bored, what you said just doesn't make sense. No you won't get bored, you always happy, so how are you going to dislike it, unless you like getting bored than no you won't get bored.
Anyway, i just don't think heaven and hell and god exist anyway
Secondly, what if we never developed the technology go explore the universe, that it just wasnt possible. I mean i think we will. But anyway, i still think after 1000 years you'll want to die

I would spend eternal life
just as i spend noneternal life
this much i know for now

Philosopher Philocrazy

I would do all the things I don't have time for: fish, quilt, sleep late, barbeque.. I could keep myself amused for a few billion years.

Saint said:
What is your elsewhere?
How do you go there after your body is dead?
I am not my body. Perhaps we are there or visit there now while unconscious or between conscious thoughts.

I believe that we exist on many levels, not just this physical world. Call it or them whatever you wish (spirit, soul, mind, matrix) I cannot conceive of a time when I didn't exist. Can you? ergo, I always existed.

love&peace,
olde drunk

My original point was that within the concept of eternity we would look for or create a visit to this world to avoid boredom. We already exist in the traditional definition of heaven.

All experiences, love, pain, joy, happiness, sadness etc are used to expand our understanding of that existence. Fishing, quilting, doubting, believing are ways of
understanding our role in the universe (heaven).

love&peace,
olde drunk

How are we in a heaven... omg that makes no sense. you just defined it as eternal bliss and now you say its actual life. Well life isn't eternal bliss. And the christian definition of heaven, which is the only definition as its a christian thing (dont say but nirvana is a heaven and stuff like that, because that is a different thing all together) and the christian definition is closer to eternal bliss after life. Now i lost my train of though and i can't remember what i was going to say. But I am sure it was going to wreck your points

You know, I can't pinpoint this but I recall hearing about something like humans not being able to live past the capacity they are meant to live for, in my ethics class. I also remember learning that if humans weren't on the earth, the Earth couldn't survive.
Whenever I think about eternal life my brain automatically associates it with religion. Probably years worth of brainwashing has made me think that way..

Sorry, I know that's kind off topic!

KaneOris said:
How are we in a heaven... omg that makes no sense. you just defined it as eternal bliss and now you say its actual life. Well life isn't eternal bliss. And the christian definition of heaven, which is the only definition as its a christian thing (dont say but nirvana is a heaven and stuff like that, because that is a different thing all together) and the christian definition is closer to eternal bliss after life. Now i lost my train of though and i can't remember what i was going to say. But I am sure it was going to wreck your points
My original point was that the traditional uderstanding of heaven would be boring. Later, I am saying that we exist within the universe and, IMHO, the universe is heaven. let's play!

das all!

love&peace,
olde drunk

Any kind of eternal life would end up as perpetual bordem. Just remember how easy it is to hate a certain delicious food if you eat too much of it.

Also, what do you do once you know and have done everything!

Exprience with boredem might make one more constructive. Plus if change happens so much you'll end up making circles and never getting bored. Chasing your own tail because I'm sure you won't remember being the same again due to the time it takes to reach that point.

So once you've done everything, do it again!

Last edited:
KaneOris said:
Also, what do you do once you know and have done everything!
Invent! Emergent phenomenon is the base nature of this universe.

Related to What Happens When You Have Eternal Life?

1. How can I ensure that my eternal life will be fulfilling and meaningful?

As a scientist, it is important to understand that the concept of eternal life is highly subjective and can vary greatly from person to person. However, some common strategies for ensuring a fulfilling and meaningful eternal life include setting goals and pursuing passions, cultivating strong relationships with loved ones, and constantly learning and growing as a person.

2. Will I still have the same physical body in my eternal life?

The idea of having a physical body in an eternal life is a topic of much debate and speculation. Some religious beliefs suggest that individuals will have a perfect, immortal body in their eternal life. However, from a scientific standpoint, the concept of a physical body existing eternally is not yet possible or proven.

3. Can I choose how to spend my eternal life?

Again, this is a highly subjective question and the answer will depend on an individual's beliefs and understanding of eternal life. Some religious beliefs suggest that individuals have a choice in how they spend their eternal life, while others believe that it is predetermined by a higher power. From a scientific perspective, there is currently no evidence to support either belief.

4. Will I remember my past life in my eternal life?

This is a complex question with no definitive answer. Some religious beliefs suggest that individuals will have full recollection of their past life in their eternal life, while others believe that memories will be erased and individuals will start anew. From a scientific perspective, the idea of a past life is not currently supported by evidence, so it is difficult to say whether or not memories will carry over into an eternal life.

5. Can I choose when my eternal life begins?

This question ties in with the concept of time and whether or not it exists in an eternal life. While some religious beliefs suggest that time does not exist in an eternal life and therefore, there is no beginning or end, others believe that individuals have a choice in when their eternal life begins. From a scientific perspective, the concept of an eternal life existing outside of time is not yet supported by evidence.