Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to spend Eternal Life ?

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    What would you do if you had eternal life?
    Would you be bored ? :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2
    It depends entirely on the quality of such a life. Do I still suffer from physical and mental illnesses? Do I still have to go out and slave away to fend off hunger, buy clothing, and pay for the roof over my head? Am I still disadvantaged by this mediocre mind and unhealthy body? At what age am I "frozen": young, middle-aged, or old?

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3
    I believe that enternal life would eventually be torture...
    If you were to live forever and everyone you met or cared for died how would it make you feel...

It also depends upon the quality of life

There are many varibles that would determine wheter or not it would be enjoyable life.

5. Sep 23, 2004 #4
    Eternal life

It has been said that an immortal soul has more responsibility than a mortal one. This could be good news or bad however you wish but I believe the universe is composed entirely of consciousness and we never "die". It is impossible to prove anything exist "outside" or independent of the mind because all we have ever known and all that we ever know is in the mind. Life is a state of consciousness.

From what I have heard and what little physics I know time doesn't exist anywhere in the universe except in the mind of man. During near death experiences (NDEs) people are said to have exeprienced "no time", so probably after death, the mind is not as fragmented as it is in the "material world". But what do I know this is just my speculation? There are other mystics in the world besides Christ who have come back from the dead. Maybe you might try reading the "Tibetan Book of the Dead" or go do DMYT with South American shamans.

In any event I hope enternity involves a remote control and no snow.

6. Sep 23, 2004 #5
    if the eternal life is something like that mentioned in the book of Revelation in Bible, abundant with life water and fruits of eternal trees, you no need to toil, just sit down and enjoy, no diseases, no hunger, no pain.
    is that good?

7. Sep 23, 2004 #6
    Eternal physical life 'would' in fact be torture. It is like an idea of walking up a staircase with no end, or falling down a never ending elevator shaft. It is an incredibly perverse idea. We as humans, would be disconnected from our natures for seeking some sort of truth. It would be as if we are dogs, and are being teased by our hypothetical owners with a piece of sausage we will never get. A little subtle. A little naive. Although gets the point across. :)

8. Sep 23, 2004 #7
    I'd rather be dead.

Not to me it isn’t. After all, if there’s no hunger then why the need for fruits and water? I suppose what you mean is hunger would exist but could easily be quelled by eating from a never-ending abundance of fruit. Well, that’s just not good enough! (I want my iguana tail!). In the scheme you’ve outlined an individual could not “just sit down and enjoy” because he’d have to get up and collect some fruit to eat in order to satisfy his belly cycles (or because his butt was sore). This is an outrage which would have me demanding a refund. It’s a permanent vacation in a phony paradise…such things are better suited for a living Hell !

9. Sep 23, 2004 #8
    B.head, you got your point.
    From the perspective of christianity,
    a man who enters heaven had undergone hardship in the world, he knows what is pain etc., therefore, he can enjoy the good things in heaven even if the bad things in the world will never occur in his eternal life in heaven.

He already knew the contrast between imperfect world and Perfect World (Heaven), therefore, eternal life with the blessing of God will not bore him.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  10. Sep 24, 2004 #9
    Yes, very true... probably good for the first 1000 years or so. But what about when every human is dead, like they all will die, plus you will only remember things from the past 100 years at most

11. Sep 24, 2004 #10
    This is the very question that made me look at the concepts of heaven and hell. Once I realized that heaven (eternal bliss) would be boring after a couple of days I figured that there can be no heaven. Without heaven we have no basis for hell.

The concept of singularity has a better ring. But, again, do I ever want to cease exploring the universe and it's infinite worlds???

I like to think that eternity and infinity are ideas that give me a universe that is a play ground. When I am finished with physical life on earth, I will go play elsewhere.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

12. Sep 24, 2004 #11
    I'm sure one can find ways to live with theirself.

13. Sep 24, 2004 #12
    What is your elsewhere?
    How do you go there after your body is dead?

14. Sep 24, 2004 #13
    Damn, I was shocked and delighted to hear you say this, thank you! :smile:

Yes, I understand what you're saying here. I was attempting to show that as good as it might be, there would still be room for improvement, which is another way of saying...

...that it wouldn't be perfect.

15. Sep 24, 2004 #14
    Firstly, by using the term eternal bliss you just said that you'd always be happy and would never be bored, what you said just doesnt make sense. No you wont get bored, you always happy, so how are you going to dislike it, unless you like getting bored than no you wont get bored.
    Anyway, i just dont think heaven and hell and god exist anyway
    Secondly, what if we never developed the technology go explore the universe, that it just wasnt possible. I mean i think we will. But anyway, i still think after 1000 years you'll want to die

16. Sep 24, 2004 #15
    I would spend eternal life
    just as i spend noneternal life
    this much i know for now

Philosopher Philocrazy

17. Sep 25, 2004 #16

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I would do all the things I don't have time for: fish, quilt, sleep late, barbeque.. I could keep myself amused for a few billion years.

18. Sep 25, 2004 #17
    I am not my body. Perhaps we are there or visit there now while unconscious or between conscious thoughts.

I believe that we exist on many levels, not just this physical world. Call it or them whatever you wish (spirit, soul, mind, matrix) I cannot conceive of a time when I didn't exist. Can you? ergo, I always existed.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

19. Sep 25, 2004 #18
    My original point was that within the concept of eternity we would look for or create a visit to this world to avoid boredom. We already exist in the traditional definition of heaven.

All experiences, love, pain, joy, happiness, sadness etc are used to expand our understanding of that existence. Fishing, quilting, doubting, believing are ways of
    understanding our role in the universe (heaven).

love&peace,
    olde drunk

20. Sep 25, 2004 #19
    How are we in a heaven... omg that makes no sense. you just defined it as eternal bliss and now you say its actual life. Well life isnt eternal bliss. And the christian definition of heaven, which is the only definition as its a christian thing (dont say but nirvana is a heaven and stuff like that, because that is a different thing all together) and the christian definition is closer to eternal bliss after life. Now i lost my train of though and i cant remember what i was going to say. But im sure it was going to wreck your points

21. Sep 25, 2004 #20
    You know, I can't pinpoint this but I recall hearing about something like humans not being able to live past the capacity they are meant to live for, in my ethics class. I also remember learning that if humans werent on the earth, the earth couldn't survive.
    Whenever I think about eternal life my brain automatically associates it with religion. Probably years worth of brainwashing has made me think that way..

Sorry, I know that's kind off topic!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?