How to Stop Unwanted Text Highlighting & Numbering in Windows XP

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, if you want to highlight a string of text in Word, you first need to place your cursor at the beginning of the string you want to highlight, and then press and hold the [Shift] key. You can then click your mouse at the end of the string you want to highlight.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do I make Windows XP, and especially Word stop trying to guess what I'm trying to highlight and just let me do it myself. I waste minutes of my time by having it try to save me 1 second.

For example, if I type

Hello There

and I want to highlight

lo Th

it won't let me do it. It has to give me the whole words. This happens in all applications, Word, IE, etc, and it is annoying.

Also, in Word, how do I tell it to stop capatalizing stuff for me. I done graduated 6th grade and can decide for myself when a word should be capatalized.

And, most annoying. How do I tell Word to stop trying to guess my numbering sequence?

If I want a list that reads:

1. Apples
3. Oranges
5. Lemons

I don't want Word deciding that I meant 1,2,3. I spend several minutes trying to trick Word by copying and pasting to confuse it as to what I'm doing. I know its a nice program that is only trying to help me, but in attempting to save me 1 second, it costs me several minutes.

Computer science news on Phys.org
:smile: :smile: USE LINUX... :smile:

Daniel.

P.S.Sorry,man,but it's really funny...

Go through the options in word. There is a check box to stop word from automatically formatting your text.

Also, invest in windows xpm annoyances and swing by annoyances.org

finally, I'd say get a mac.

Now all we need is graphic7 to suggest Solaris. :smile:

As faust9 mentioned, the auto numbering annoyance should be buried in one of those formatting options boxes, right next to "I hate Clippy" field.

Since the selection issue also happens in IE, it is probably a system option, if there is any.

tony873004 said:
How do I make Windows XP, and especially Word stop trying to guess what I'm trying to highlight and just let me do it myself. I waste minutes of my time by having it try to save me 1 second.

For example, if I type

Hello There

and I want to highlight

lo Th

it won't let me do it. It has to give me the whole words. This happens in all applications, Word, IE, etc, and it is annoying.

Place your cursor at the beginning of the string you wish to highlight. Press and hold the [Shift] key, then click your mouse at the end of the string you wish to highlight. You may also use the arrow keys to select text while holding down the shift key.

Now we have to start holding shift to select things correctly? Blasphemy I say!

The autocorrect features of Word can be useful at times. When it starts autocorrection you can press ctrl+z or "undo" to undo the autocorrection (for example in the case of auto numbering).
The highlighting problem is for all the OS and I think you cannot correct. Just practice. :frown:

Related to How to Stop Unwanted Text Highlighting & Numbering in Windows XP

1. What causes unwanted text highlighting and numbering in Windows XP?

The most common cause of unwanted text highlighting and numbering in Windows XP is the auto-formatting feature in programs like Microsoft Word. This feature automatically applies formatting to text as you type, including highlighting and numbering.

2. How can I turn off the auto-formatting feature?

To turn off the auto-formatting feature in Microsoft Word, go to the "AutoCorrect" menu under the "Tools" tab. Then, click on the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab and uncheck the box next to "Automatic numbered lists" and "Automatic bulleted lists." This will prevent the program from automatically applying numbering and highlighting to your text.

3. Is there a way to stop unwanted text highlighting and numbering in other programs?

Yes, many programs have similar auto-formatting features that can be disabled. Check the settings or preferences menu in the specific program you are using to see if there is an option to turn off automatic numbering and highlighting.

4. Can I customize the auto-formatting feature to only apply certain formatting?

Yes, most programs allow you to customize the auto-formatting feature to only apply certain formatting. For example, in Microsoft Word, you can go to the "AutoFormat As You Type" tab and check or uncheck specific formatting options, such as numbering or highlighting, to be applied automatically.

5. How do I remove unwanted highlighting and numbering that has already been applied to my text?

If you have already typed text and it has been automatically highlighted or numbered, you can remove it by selecting the text and then going to the "Format" or "Home" tab, depending on the program you are using. From there, you can click on the option to remove formatting, which is usually represented by a "clear formatting" or "erase" button.