Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF'ers who deleted their Facebook, please convince me to.

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    I'll be open and honest about what's holding me back.
    • Fear that I'll miss something if I leave (e.g. an unexpected friend or family member of mine joining Facebook)
    • Fear that I'll miss a good opportunity to post a photo album down the road which may lead to lots of comments and subsequent "fame" amongst my Facebook community
    • Fear that if friends see I've quit Facebook, they'll think I'm trying to be a rebel or that I'm a psychologically weak person who can't handle the popularity contest that is Facebook (The latter is true...)
    • Feel an obligation to the people who kept responding to my stuff and who chatted with me
    • To expand on the previous point, I'd say there's a general fear that if I left I'd be burning bridges with people. I've known some people who quit Facebook without any announcement, but then I felt kinda weird when I saw them in real life because I was never sure if they had really deleted their account or if they blocked me.
    • This is the dumbest point of all: maybe some long-lust crush of mine will want to message me on Facebook. If I leave my Facebook account up, it can serve as a beacon for female acquaintances who might be interested in me.

I want to hear your story of quitting Facebook. What fears did you have? How did you convince yourself to take the plunge? What psychological changes happened once you did?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've got one better ... never joined.

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is impossible to make such a decision without understanding both the why and the why not. Why do you think you should?

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4
    You don't know what you're missing, dude. It's the ultimate way to humble-brag about yourself and build up a glorified persona. You also get to be bombarded with motivational Bible verses from your Christian friends.

6. Apr 20, 2013 #5
    If it's bothering you that much, why quit?

I never joined. But I also never had the desire to join. If you're going to be bugging out from lack of facebook time, then don't quit until you get like me; absolutely apathetic to the whole thing.
    Don't have a desire to do that, nor see other people do it.

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6
    It's started to have a terrible effect on my psyche.

8. Apr 20, 2013 #7
    I mean, I'm completely repulsed by it, but it's kinda like an addiction that makes me keep signing back in.

haha I was being facetious

9. Apr 20, 2013 #8
    You don't have to. Just don't go online ever. That's what I did. I haven't logged in officially since last summer.

10. Apr 20, 2013 #9
    Could you just go passive on facebook? Make an entry on your wall, telling you that quit activities but you'll lurk only, while hiding your photos. That way unexpected admirers can still find you.

I'm passive on facebook and enjoy my friends activities. No need to quit.

11. Apr 20, 2013 #10
    You don't ever feel like you want to participate? For example, if you did an Ironman Triathlon and the race photographer captured you while you were running up the final hill and your veiny, tan, shaved, muscular physique was in full bloom, wouldn't you feel like you'd want to share that to impress your friends?

12. Apr 20, 2013 #11

Borek

You do it each day, or is it a once a year event? If the latter, no problem with posting it. If the former... well, congratulations.

13. Apr 20, 2013 #12
    Haha I don't do it all. Was just giving a made-up example.

14. Apr 20, 2013 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Is it physically possible to quit FB once you start? Am I forever imprisoned :[?

15. Apr 20, 2013 #14
    It's like any other addiction: control it, or it will control you.

16. Apr 20, 2013 #15
    Great answer.

17. Apr 20, 2013 #16

Evo

I signed up on FB for Physics Forums and hate "FB", so I don't use it. If people want to talk to me, they have many ways other than FB to do it. I should probably delete my account so people don't think I'm intentionally snubbing them.

18. Apr 20, 2013 #17
    I agree to a certain extend with Evo, however it makes me smile when I see my dad (age 87) talking to my daughter on facebook.

19. Apr 20, 2013 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My 20-year-old daughter deleted her FB account. She was stunned by how many people contacted her with real concern -- "Is everything OK?" "Are you being stalked?" "Is there anything bothering you?"

She quit because she didn't want to hear any more about how cute and smart people think their kids are. And she was tired of seeing pictures of what everyone had for dinner last night.

20. Apr 20, 2013 #19

Evo

Sensible girl!

21. Apr 20, 2013 #20

fluidistic

Gold Member

I mostly use facebook to post pictures of bugs that I find in my flat. I realize that I'm somehow a parasite to my "friends" just like the bugs are to my flat.
    I wouldn't mind at all to delete my account. But it was nice to see what some friends of mine became after 10 years or more of separation.
    I haven't been addicted to facebook so my opinion might be flawed but I don't see anything that you might lose, except an old friend wanting to contact you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook