How to Study Maths for Engineering Exams

• Thread starter Jaco Viljoen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the individual is a 33-year-old pursuing a degree in Civil engineering and has been using online resources and textbooks to work through their rusty math skills. They are concerned about their performance on exams and are seeking advice on how to study effectively. The expert suggests signing up for the ALEKS precalculus course, which uses artificial intelligence to identify areas that need more focus.
Jaco Viljoen
Hi All,
As some of you know I have started working towards a degree in Civil engineering at the age of 33.
My math is quite rusty since finishing school in 2000 and not using math for 15 years.
As you have seen I post quite a couple of questions on the forum and work through them with help of the kind folk on here,
I feel I am able to solve problems when I have access to the resources online and textbooks.

My concern is when I get to the exam.

I want to study but don't know where to start?

I would appreciate any feedback or advise concerning this.

Thank you,

Have a great day,

Jaco Viljoen

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you sign up for the ALEKS precalculus course. It uses artificial intelligence to determine what you already know and which areas need the most emphasis.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
Hi Dr Courtney,
Thank you,
I will check it out

1. How much time should I dedicate to studying maths for engineering exams?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying maths for engineering exams depends on your individual learning style and the difficulty of the material. However, a general rule of thumb is to dedicate at least 2-3 hours of focused studying per week for every credit hour of the course. So, if you are taking a 3-credit hour math course, you should aim to study for at least 6-9 hours per week.

2. How can I make the most out of my study time for maths?

One of the best ways to make the most out of your study time for maths is to practice solving problems regularly. This will not only help you understand the concepts better, but also improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, try to break down the material into smaller chunks and study in short, focused sessions rather than long, unproductive ones.

3. What are some effective study techniques for mastering maths concepts?

Some effective study techniques for mastering maths concepts include actively engaging with the material by taking notes, asking questions, and solving practice problems. It can also be helpful to create study aids such as flashcards or mind maps, and to teach the material to others. Additionally, regularly reviewing and practicing previously learned concepts can help reinforce your understanding.

4. How can I stay motivated and focused while studying maths for engineering exams?

To stay motivated and focused, it can be helpful to set specific goals for each study session and reward yourself when you achieve them. It can also be beneficial to study with a study group or find a study partner to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Additionally, try to create a study environment that is free from distractions and conducive to learning.

5. Are there any helpful online resources for studying maths for engineering exams?

Yes, there are many helpful online resources for studying maths for engineering exams. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Math Stack Exchange. Additionally, many textbooks and course materials have accompanying online resources, such as practice problems and tutorials. It can also be helpful to reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for additional resources or clarification on difficult concepts.