How to teach 2~5 year-old kids talking?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary: What is this?" In summary, parents should read to their children every night, provide simple sentences and words, and use flashcards or pointing to objects to help them learn. When one calls the child's name, they will usually come to them. However, they may not be able to speak in full sentences yet, but they are able to read ABC. 123.
Saint
Any effective way to teach them to talk?
My children have difficulty in speech,
i need help. Seriously! :uhh:

Science news on Phys.org
Spend less time complaining about money and more time talking around them...

franznietzsche said:
Spend less time complaining about money and more time talking around them...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyways, get them away from the television. Try to read to them, make them read (the five year old, if she/he can), and also try to communicate with them more often.

But i am no professional.

I don't know. Between 2 and 5, most parents are more concerned with how to make them stop talking, because it can be nonstop! Spending a lot of time with them, reading, pointing to things, telling them the name of everything they pass and point to then asking them to tell you what it is, that seems to be how they learn. Give them lots of reinforcement when they get words right...clap and praise them and smile and laugh. If they are having serious trouble, you may need to find a speech therapist to work with them, especially if the 5 yr old isn't talking yet. The 2 year old should be talking, but not in full sentences yet, and not understandable by everyone yet.

Some of the people here who are actually parents can probably help more.

Get them in front of a video game. Well... okay, maybe that's more for the 5 year olds. I learned to read really really really well from playing FF7, quite a few years ago. Maybe not something like FF7, but some kind of RPG that actually involves a plot. Kids get interested and they want to know what words mean or they get lost :P

You need to have their hearing checked, if you haven't already. Hearing impairment is the number one cause of speech problems for children. There is a very common problem of fluid in the eustacian tube which causes hearing loss which in turn causes delays in speech development. I've known a lot of children that have had this problem. and the sooner it is corrected, the better.

Here is a link to some information. http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/ear_infections.html

Indeed, no offence, but it's kind of weird that by the age of two your kids arn't speaking. I believe I spoke when I was a few months old. Of course... not fluently :O I could recite Chinese poems by three or so... so I don't know. Maybe languages are different :)

First as Evo pointed out, take the children to a doctor and make sure that there are not physiological conditions that would impair hearing. Hearing tests are usually part of a normal wellness (health assurance, preventative maintenance) program.

Assuming that children can hear and have normal language processing capability, then a parent should read to them every night - one can make it a bedtime ritual.

My wife and I read to both our children when the were little, and yes when one reads the same book several dozen or hundreds of time, it does become a little tedious. Reading the same book though helps the children learn words and pronunciation, inflection, etc.

The Dr. Seuss books (e.g. Cat in the Hat) by Theodor Seuss Geisel, and books by P. D. Eastman, are very good for young children. They also help the children learn to express themselves. Also looks for "Beginner Books" and " Can Read Books". Check the local public library also, which is a good resource for childrens books.

they can't speak in full sentence,
but they know how to read ABC.. 123, some words like apple, car,cat, etc..
I use flash cards to teach them. Also pointing to real objects.

When i call their names, they will come to me, i think hearing is not a problem.
However, they just can speak to demand something.

Saint said:
they can't speak in full sentence,
but they know how to read ABC.. 123, some words like apple, car,cat, etc..
I use flash cards to teach them. Also pointing to real objects.

When i call their names, they will come to me, i think hearing is not a problem.
However, they just can speak to demand something.

That doesn't sound like a problem at all. Actually, it sounds quite normal. That's what kids that age do, they pretty much demand what they want. The next step is to correct them gently to have them ask more politely and learn their manners. When they demand, instruct them to "say please," and then don't give them what they want until they say "please."

The books provide simple but complete sentences. When one reads and says the words while pointing to objects or actions, then one provides context to the child. One can also ask questions of the child, as in "What would you do or say in this situation or if you were [the character in the story]".

ABC's and numbers are very basic. Books (with narratives) provide stories and more complex and stimulating context.

Look for books at http://www.kidsreads.com/, which provides reviews on children's books for all ages.

Another P. D. Eastman book is "Are You My Mother?", a short story about a baby bird in search of his/her mother, who has temporarily left the nest in search of food.

I can recommend other books if one is interested.

Saint, children with speech problems related to hearing can hear, they can hear you call them, they can listen to tv, radio, etc..., but they can't hear clearly and it affects speech development. They may be able to catch words, but not hear enough to be able to form complete sentences.

If you don't think they have hearing problems. How active are your children? They could have a form of Attention Deficit Disorder.

Take them to a doctor and have them thoroughly evaluated, rule out any health causes first.

Astronuc said:
The books provide simple but complete sentences. When one reads and says the words while pointing to objects or actions, then one provides context to the child. One can also ask questions of the child, as in "What would you do or say in this situation or if you were [the character in the story]".

ABC's and numbers are very basic. Books (with narratives) provide stories and more complex and stimulating context.

Look for books at http://www.kidsreads.com/, which provides reviews on children's books for all ages.

Another P. D. Eastman book is "Are You My Mother?", a short story about a baby bird in search of his/her mother, who has temporarily left the nest in search of food.

I can recommend other books if one is interested.
Saint lives in Malaysia.

Attention Disorders are growing rapidly nowadays.

Get your butt off the computer and go talk to them. period. end of discussion. talk to them and they will learn to talk to you.

Why not spank them?

According to the previous thread, this works.

Sometimes the 2 year-old one, like to spin around and laugh, stimulate himself, is this abnormal?

Saint said:
Sometimes the 2 year-old one, like to spin around and laugh, stimulate himself, is this abnormal?

Again, according to the previous thread about sex you should KNOW.

no nonsense here,
please answer seriously, constructively.

Saint said:

Yes, normal. You should take a parenting class. It doesn't sound like you know very much about raising kids, and they need you to know.

Dr. Seuss books (and perhaps those of Eastman) has been translated into many languages, but I am not sure about Malay. I will try to find out if there is an interest.

I have found some references to childrens books published by Malaysian publishers, but I cannot find the details.

Regardless of the language, it is advisable to read to children, in this era, especially if one wants to enhance their mental development.

My wife is a teaching assistant at a local school. There is a substantial difference between those children whose parents read to them, and those whose parents did not.

Astronuc said:
Dr. Seuss books (and perhaps those of Eastman) has been translated into many languages, but I am not sure about Malay. I will try to find out if there is an interest.

I have found some references to childrens books published by Malaysian publishers, but I cannot find the details.

Regardless of the language, it is advisable to read to children, in this era, especially if one wants to enhance their mental development.

My wife is a teaching assistant at a local school. There is a substantial difference between those children whose parents read to them, and those whose parents did not.

I can't wait to read to my kids. Probably the best thing to do.

JasonRox said:
I can't wait to read to my kids. Probably the best thing to do.

The thing I'm most looking forward to about Christmas this year is that I have a big stack of books to give to my nephew, and I can't wait to curl up in a comfy chair with him and read him stories. :smile:

I can read to them,
but they can't pay attention for long, after 10 minutes they want to run away,
so, how ?

I wrote a children's book once. I've probably posted it here before, but I'll post it again. If anyone out there likes to draw and wants to illustrate a children's book this would be a good one to start with. I think it is exactly the kind of book kids would love to read and I would think publishing wouldn't be tremendously difficult. 50-50 split on any profits. Here it is:
I Think My Cat Is Broken by tribdog

I think my cat is broken.
He doesn’t seem quite right.
He likes to sleep all day long
Then go outside at night.

I think my cat is broken
His tastes are quite absurd.
He didn’t like my candy bar
But tried to eat a bird.

I think my cat is broken
He plays with crazy things.
His favorite toy is just a bell
Wrapped up with little strings.

Maybe my cat’s not broken
And does what all cats do.
He plays and purrs and says meow.
Does that sound broke to you?

Me neither!

Awww...that's sweet. When I saw something organized in stanzas from you, sweet isn't what I was expecting. That actually would be fun to read to a kid. :smile:

I had a good laugh thinking of a kid trying to feed a candy bar to a cat..

Saint said:
Saint, have you ruled out things like mild autism or Asperger's Syndrome? What does your family doctor (or pediatrician) have to say about your concerns?

Saint said:
I can read to them,
but they can't pay attention for long, after 10 minutes they want to run away,
so, how ?

It does not work to read to kids when they are busy playing, but there are times when they are more calm, just before they go to sleep would be a good time. At that time they are used to be calm, and if you find the right stories they probably do not want you to stop reading.

Or maybe they have ADD and you should fill them up with drugs like any responsible American would at the command of their overpayed child psychologist!

Yeah Saint! Be more responsible this is your kid's life we're talking about here, Where are the drugs!

gerben said:
It does not work to read to kids when they are busy playing, but there are times when they are more calm, just before they go to sleep would be a good time. At that time they are used to be calm, and if you find the right stories they probably do not want you to stop reading.
When I was young(er) I devoured bed time stories like there was no tomorrow.

Maybe that's why my teeth are so bad :yuck:

gerben said:

And remember, it's supposed to be children's books with bright illustrations, simple words and simple sentences, not the Financial Times. :biggrin:

Bedtime and naptimes are the best for getting this started. Most people I know started the habit of reading to the children when they were still infants, so it's all part of their routine. They'd read to them while feeding them a bottle before a nap, so now they beg for bedtime stories. But even just playing with them and talking to them is going to help them develop language too. If you're spending all your time online rather than playing with the children, where are they supposed to hear conversation to learn it?

But, seriously, take Evo's advice and take them to the pediatrician with your concerns. The pediatrician can evaluate them and give you a better idea if they are at an appropriate developmental stage or not, and if they aren't, can have the right tests done to find out why not. And get some books for yourself on child development so you know what to expect and how to nurture those kids.

i taught them to play puzzles and shape matching, they can do it quite well.
they can recognise alphabets and words well,
but can't put them into short sentence.
i taught in english, the nursery they go is english medium.

Langauge development is slower for bilingual children, so if you're teaching them in English and they are hearing all other conversation in your native language, this could explain some delay in forming full sentences, especially when the two languages are so different. The good news is, it is only a delay, and bilingual kids catch up once they get a bit older and become able to distinguish the two languages.