How can I accurately time a circuit without a stopwatch?

In summary, the speaker is discussing a circuit involving a resistor and capacitor and timing the delay of a light bulb turning on. They suggest using an oscilloscope to accurately time the delay. The speaker also mentions the theoretical and experimental methods for timing this delay and wishes the listener luck. They also question the need for knowing the time lag in the circuit.
I_love_Physics
i basically have a circuit using a resistor and a capacitor as a potential divider. i have the output as a light bulb and i am timing how long it takes for the light bulb to come on. how can i time this accurately without using a stop clock?

Physics news on Phys.org
there are some theoretical ways to time this delay. You can see it in details in any books relating to the control sciences. But I'm affraid about the existence of any experimental method (because of the your accuracy limits).
Anyway, Good Luck!
Somy

i think what i would try is to just hook up the output to an oscilloscope. The scope will read a zero before you hit the switch and high voltage once the bulb is on and since this isn't instantaneous, you could zoom into the area where the graph slopes up from a low to high voltage (there are cursors so it should be easy)

Well there is a time delay in any electronic device! Let me ask you another question. Why you need to know that time lag?

1. How do I calculate the time constant of a circuit?

The time constant of a circuit is calculated by dividing the resistance (R) by the capacitance (C). The formula is τ = RC, where τ is the time constant in seconds.

2. What is the difference between RC time constant and circuit time constant?

The RC time constant refers to a specific type of circuit - a series RC circuit. The circuit time constant refers to the time it takes for the voltage or current to change by 63.2% of its initial value in any type of circuit.

3. How do I find the time for a capacitor to fully charge or discharge in a circuit?

The time it takes for a capacitor to fully charge or discharge in a circuit is 5 times the time constant (5τ). This is also known as the charging or discharging time constant.

4. Can I use a multimeter to measure the time constant of a circuit?

No, a multimeter is not designed to measure the time constant of a circuit. It can only measure resistance, voltage, and current.

5. How does the time constant affect the behavior of a circuit?

The time constant determines how quickly a circuit will reach its steady state. A smaller time constant means the circuit will reach steady state faster, while a larger time constant means it will take longer to reach steady state.