How to transfer heat dissipate by heat sink into one spot

  • Thread starter Thread starter DigiDigi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Heat sink
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
DigiDigi
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I am trying to convert all the heat dissipate by the heat sink into electricity by using thermionic converter. I plan to put my thermionic converter at the bottom of the heat sink fins. However, my thermionic converter is not big enough to cover the entire area of the heat sink fins. Is there anyway I can concentrate all the remaining heat released into the thermionic converter?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Sure, you can use a copper adapter plate that is the size of the converter. However, these converters are only a few percent efficient, so you won't get anywhere near 100% conversion.
 
Thank you for your reply. Forgive me for being ignorance, but may I know what is an adapter plate and how does it look like. I google image and it seems to me they come in many shapes. Also, theoretically speaking, how does adapter plate work especially in my case for example, how will it help me gather all the heat from the heat sink into the thermionic converter. Where can I usually find the application of adapter plate? Sorry for asking too many questions, I want to learn and know more about this adapter plate since I am not familiar with it.
 
Before you go through the trouble of trying to harvest thermal energy from the system, look into two things:

  1. What is the temperature? Based on the Carnot efficiency calculation, you can guess at what your maximum efficiency can be. (hint: if you're only operating at 10 or 15 degrees above ambient, it isn't worth it...)
  2. How much power is being dissipated in the first place? is it 1W? 10? 100? Just because something is warm or hot doesn't mean there is a large amount of heat flux to be harvested.