How to Treat Y When Differentiating Implicitly?

In summary, to solve for y', treat y as a function of x and the power as a function of y. Then, use the chain rule to differentiate, which will give the same result as simply deriving and multiplying by y'. Finally, rearrange the equation to solve for y'.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

[itex]x^{3}y + y^{3}x = 30[/itex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that I'm supposed to take the derivative of each side and try to solve for y'.

But, I don't know how to treat the y when I am differentiating it, to a power or whatever.

For example, here I did

[itex]Dx(x^{3}y) + Dx(y^{3}x) = Dx(30)[/itex]

When differentiating the first term, using the product rule, I have to get Dx(y). Simply saying that it's 1 doesn't seem to work, so I just leave it as y'. Using the product rule on that first term on the left side gives me:

y' + 3(x^2)y.

Added to the derivative of (y^3)(x). But that's the derivative I'm having trouble with.

Can anyone walk me through this? How do I treat y when differentiating a term with it in it? I don't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
think of y as a function of x, y = y(x)

then think of the power as a function of y, g(y) = y^3

then you have
[tex] y^3 = (y(x))^3 = g(y(x))[/tex]

now use the chain rule
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}y^3 = \frac{d}{dx}g(y(x)) = g'(y(x))y'(x)[/tex]

Last edited:
Will simply deriving it normally and then multiplying the result by y prime always give the same result as the chain rule?

Alright, you know that feeling after something very simple clicks, and you kick yourself for not grasping it right off the bat, that's what I'm feeling now. I guess my textbook and I are on two different wavelengths...

[itex]x^{3}y+y^{3}x=30[/itex]

First term differentiated: 3yx^2+y'x^3
Second term: 3xy'y^2 + y^3
derivative of 30 is zero..

So, 3yx^2 + y'x^3 + 3xy'y^2 + y^3 = 0

Since I'm solving for y', get them all to once side..

3yx^2 + y^3 = -y'x^3 - 3xy'y^2

Factor out y' on right side.. : y'(-x^3 - 3xy^2), then divide for a final answer of:

(3yx^2+y^3) / (-x^3 - 3xy^2) = y'

Can someone confirm I'm on the right track?

look good to me
[tex]y' = -\frac{y}{x} \frac{(3x^2+y^2} {x^2 + 3y^2} [/tex]

Related to How to Treat Y When Differentiating Implicitly?

1. What is Implicit Differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of a function that is given implicitly, meaning that the relationship between the variables is not explicitly stated. It is commonly used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a given point.

2. How is Implicit Differentiation different from Explicit Differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is given in the form of y = f(x), meaning that the dependent variable y is explicitly stated in terms of the independent variable x. On the other hand, implicit differentiation is used when the relationship between the variables is not explicitly stated, and the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated.

3. Why is Implicit Differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful because it allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve for the dependent variable first. This can be helpful when the function is complex or difficult to solve, and can save time and effort in finding the derivative.

4. What are some applications of Implicit Differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to find the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, optimize production processes, and model biological systems, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to Implicit Differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is not always applicable and may not provide an accurate or complete solution in some cases. It is also a more advanced concept and may require a solid understanding of calculus and algebra to use effectively.