How to use electronic switches

In summary, transistors are one of the most common electronic switches, but there may be confusion on how to incorporate them into a circuit and how to use them effectively. A quick Google search for "transistors as switch" will provide a wealth of information, including beginner-friendly articles on websites like HowStuffWorks and Wikipedia. For further learning, the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill is recommended.
alpine2beach
I'm pretty sure that one of the most common electronic switches is the transistor. That being said, I'm not very sure of how you can incorporate one into a circuit. Basically, what I'm asking is, how do I get it to switch when I want it to? How do I use a transistor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you know about transistors?
How do you think they function
do a google search for transistors as switch and see what you come up with. There is a lot of relevant information there.

(I've been taking notes Berkeman) :)

mdjensen22 said:
(I've been taking notes Berkeman) :)
:smile:

Here are a couple intro articles on transistors:

at HowStuffWorks.com http://www.howstuffworks.com/transistor.htm

at Wikipedia.org http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor

Also, if you'd like to learn more about electronics, take a look at the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Your high school library may have a copy (if not, ask them to order it), or your city library may have a copy. It's a pretty easy read, and you can learn lots of useful things about electronics from it.

Thank you so freaking much! Wikipedia is pretty useless if you don't already know something about electronics, but that link to HowStuffWorks was definitely the most simple explanation of a transistor that I have ever read! Also, thanks for the book, I'll have to check it out. Thanks again!

1. How do electronic switches work?

Electronic switches work by controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit. When the switch is turned on, it allows electricity to flow through, completing the circuit. When the switch is turned off, it breaks the circuit, stopping the flow of electricity.

2. What are the different types of electronic switches?

There are several types of electronic switches, including mechanical switches, solid-state switches, and semiconductor switches. Mechanical switches use physical movement to open or close the circuit, while solid-state switches use electrical signals to control the flow of electricity. Semiconductor switches, such as transistors, are used to amplify and control electrical signals.

3. How do I choose the right electronic switch for my project?

Choosing the right electronic switch depends on the specific needs of your project. Factors to consider include the voltage and current requirements, as well as the type of circuit you are working with. It is important to carefully read the specifications and consult with experts if needed to ensure you select the appropriate switch for your project.

4. Can electronic switches be used with both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, electronic switches can be used with both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, it is important to select a switch that is compatible with the type of current you are working with. Some switches are specifically designed for AC circuits, while others are designed for DC circuits.

5. How do I test an electronic switch to make sure it is working properly?

To test an electronic switch, you can use a multimeter to measure the continuity of the circuit. Set the multimeter to the continuity or resistance setting, and touch the probes to the terminals of the switch. If the switch is working properly, the multimeter should show a low resistance reading when the switch is turned on and a high resistance reading when the switch is turned off.