How to use parallel axis theorem?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a solid door of mass 37.80 kg, with dimensions 2.30 m by 1.70 m by 2.53 cm, about its hinges can be found using the parallel axis theorem or by finding the moment of inertia around a different axis that is parallel to the hinges. The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia around the hinge axis can be found by adding the moment of inertia around the center of mass axis and the term MD^2, where D is the distance between the two axes. In this case, the center of mass axis must be parallel to the hinge axis. Alternatively, the moment of inertia around the hinge axis can be found directly using the formula for
asz304

Homework Statement

A solid door of mass 37.80 kg is 2.30 m high, 1.70 m wide, and 2.53 cm thick. What is the moment of inertia of the door about the axis through its hinges?

Homework Equations

I= Icm + MD^2
Icm = 1/12[M (a^2 +b^2 )] formula for inertia of a rectangular plate.

The Attempt at a Solution

so I found Icm = 25.767 kgm^2 by doing Icm = 1/12 [ 37.80 kg ( 1.7^2 + 2.3^2 ) ].

and I'm stuck in doing the parallel axis theorem, and I'm not sure if my work above is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the correct CM axis to take the MOI around first (hint: the axis for ICM must be parallel to the final axis. You seem to have found an orthogonal axis instead).

I can't get what you're saying..

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia (MOI) around any axis (which would be your door hinge axis in your case) can be found by taking the MOI around a parallel axis that goes through the center of mass (CM) of the body (and then add the term you have written as MD2).

In calculating ICM the equation you used indicates that you have chosen an axis of rotation that is perpendicular to the height and width of the door, hence an axis that is not parallel to the hinge axis. And if it is not parallel you cannot apply the parallel axis theorem. Thus, you need to find ICM around a different axis that is parallel to the hinge axis.

Alternatively, you can find Ihinge directly. Using the parallel axis theorem only makes sense if find ICM is easier than finding Ihinge.

If you think about it, a door rotating about its hinges is like a rod rotating about one of its ends. 8D

1. What is the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the moment of inertia of a body around its center of mass to the moment of inertia around a parallel axis at a distance from the center of mass. It allows for the calculation of the moment of inertia of a body when its axis is parallel to the original axis.

2. How is the parallel axis theorem used in physics?

The parallel axis theorem is used in physics to calculate the moment of inertia of an object when its axis is not passing through its center of mass. This is important in situations where the rotation of an object is not centered around its center of mass, such as in a spinning top or a rotating wheel.

3. What is the formula for the parallel axis theorem?

The formula for the parallel axis theorem is I = Icm + md2, where I is the moment of inertia around the parallel axis, Icm is the moment of inertia around the center of mass, m is the mass of the object, and d is the distance between the two axes.

4. How do you apply the parallel axis theorem in calculations?

To apply the parallel axis theorem in calculations, you first need to determine the moment of inertia around the center of mass of the object. Then, you can use the formula I = Icm + md2 to calculate the moment of inertia around the parallel axis at a specific distance from the center of mass. This can be done for multiple axes to determine the overall moment of inertia of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of the parallel axis theorem?

One real-life example of the parallel axis theorem is the calculation of the moment of inertia for a bicycle wheel. The axis of rotation for a bicycle wheel is not at its center of mass, so the parallel axis theorem is used to determine its moment of inertia. Another example is the calculation of the moment of inertia for a spinning top or a pendulum, where the axis of rotation is also not at the center of mass.