How to Use Time Productively - Self Study, Schools, et al

In summary, the author is considering whether or not to pursue an online degree in mathematics, and has read the threads on this forum to get advice. He is considering the 20-80 law and the advice given by a physics grad student. He is also working on Larson's Calculus and Kolmann's Elementary Linear Algebra to make himself better prepared once he does get the shot at entering an undergraduate math program.
MAAntonius
Ladies and Gentlemen of PhysicsForum,

This is an awesome venue filled with great resources. I look forward to expanding my abilities within the realm of sciences by using the resources listed here and occasional consultation with the really generous posters who are far more experienced than I ever will be.

As mentioned in my introductory thread, I'm active Navy, basically permanent-shore/desk job, but work some gnarly shifts that rotate more frequently than the length of a single semester. That is all to preface that I don't see myself able to take any courses at a Brick & Mortar institution near me because even if I'd registered for night courses, I could very inconveniently be thrown on a swing shift peri-semester. As it stands, I possesses a mere Associate's and aim first to learn as much about math as possible in the remaining 4 years of my enlistment, and peripherally prepare myself optimally for a B&M BS at a great school.

I've read the following threads on this site:
1) https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bs-in-mathematics-online.267655/
2) https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/online-mathematics-courses.685335/

From them I've ascertained that an online degree in math is a true inhibitor to future achievement in the field in a lot of ways. I was never a fan of such courses before, but am largely considering due to the military. They emphasize the value of pursuing any degree whatsoever and using Tuition Assistance (which caps at $250/unit, $4500 per year) "or suffering the consequences."

A fellow Marine and I have deemed far more valuable to expand our knowledge and ability rather than ascend the ladder of education without attaining many real qualifications. To this end, we've shared Logic textbooks (from the Philosophy side of symbolic and predicate logic), work a bit out of Spivak's Calculus, and are seeking as many resources as possible. Is it a wise approach to use our time to try to come out of the military as ~26 year old "super-prepared sophomores/Juniors in a BS program" but not pursue credit?

I've also seen Micromass's excellent "Self-Study of Mathematics" thread. "Should I Become a Mathematician" has a wonderful list of books to delve into. With nearly 4.5 years, I think I can sacrifice some of my Arabic and French from work to really get my head into the "better" parts of mathematics I failed to reach for before. I appreciate any input that can be provided on these endeavors, but especially look forward to criticism (and I have a thick skin, so lay in if needed!) on the degree/no degree/etc. matters.

Thanks for reading and any input you all may have.

All the best,
MAA

Hi, I am not sure, but I hope this will help.
I have considered applying the 20-80 law : In certain situations/environments, 20% of the input produces 80% of the output; this can be used to improve productivity. So it comes down to effectively-administering your attentional states. If you learn to recognize the attentional state you are in at a given moment (i.e., are you sharp, is your mind more-or-less receptive ), you may be able to effectively-decide what are the best tasks to do at that moment; you don't want to , e.g., waste a period of time when you're well-awake and sharp to do rote work, nor do you want to do the converse: try to learn difficult material when you're either tired, or not mentally sharp (or both.). It takes some training to recognize your mental states and then allot the time effectively. OF course, with more advanced training, one may change one's mental state, but this is kind of far out. HTH.

That's great advice, WWGD. I've tried to exploit those principles by planning my daily schedule out in a really regimented way... fundamentally, I can get a lot more good quality work done academically if I do so before my work day and commitments begin, so rising at 4am and having 2-3 hours of "me" time gives me a much better opportunity to pursue what I want than waiting until after a rigorous day of work.

Doing so simply on a so called microscale, and thinking about it in the midst of the day, isn't something I'd considered before, thanks!

And just as a generic update, I got some good advice from a physics grad student and am working on Larson's Calculus and Kolmann's Elementary Linear Algebra to make myself better prepared once I do get the shot at entering an undergrad math program.

Thanks for your time and input!

1. How can self-study help me use my time more productively?

Self-study allows you to set your own pace and focus on specific areas that you need to improve on. This can help you use your time more efficiently by avoiding potentially time-consuming distractions and tailoring your study methods to your learning style.

2. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for using time productively in self-study?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help you use your time more productively in self-study. These include creating a study schedule, breaking down tasks into manageable chunks, using effective note-taking methods, and regularly reviewing and practicing material.

3. How can schools promote productive time management among students?

Schools can promote productive time management by providing students with resources and support, such as study skills workshops and time management tools. They can also encourage students to prioritize their tasks and set realistic goals, as well as provide a structured and organized learning environment.

4. What are some common challenges that can hinder productive use of time in self-study?

Some common challenges that can hinder productive use of time in self-study include procrastination, lack of motivation, and poor time management skills. It is important to identify these challenges and find strategies to overcome them in order to use your time more effectively.

5. How can using time productively benefit students in the long run?

Using time productively can benefit students in many ways, such as improving their academic performance and reducing stress and anxiety. It can also help develop important skills such as self-discipline, organization, and time management, which are valuable for success in both academic and professional settings.