How (un)stable are the Lagrangian points 1, 2 and 3?

In summary: However, it is possible for an object to be temporarily "captured" by the Lagrange point, but it would require some type of interaction or deflection to keep it there. This is not a natural or stable state, and eventually the object would leave the Lagrange point.
xpell
A couple questions, please: I know that the Lagrangian points 1, 2 and 3 are unstable and special Lissajous orbits plus some station-keeping are required to place a spacecraft around them. But I was wondering if they are so totally unstable that they can't temporarily "capture" a passing natural object (let's say an asteroid or a cloud of cosmic dust, in a stationary way or entering some kind of not-very-stable orbit around them)? Or could they?

And if they were able to, how much time would (approximately) be required for this/these object(s) to go "off-orbit" and abandon the L(1,2,3) area? In the case of the cloud of cosmic dust, would it just slowly (or quickly) drift away, or would they be "launched" towards another direction or orbit?

Thanks in advance!

PS. NASA says that L(1,2) are unstable "on a time scale of approximately 23 days" and this book talks about 23 days too. But I'm not sure if I can understand this as L(1,2) being naturally able to capture an object during approximately 23 days before "losing it"...

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Capturing an object moving from far away will always require that the object loses energy by some means. Regardless of how stable the potential is at that point. The sun could not capture a spec of dust unless that spec of dust hit something else while in the solar system.

Orodruin said:
Capturing an object moving from far away will always require that the object loses energy by some means. Regardless of how stable the potential is at that point. The sun could not capture a spec of dust unless that spec of dust hit something else while in the solar system.
Thank you, Orodruin. Actually I was thinking in a cloud of dust just "wandering" out there. But if so, how did the Trojans end up in so many (more stable but not totally stable) points L(4,5) of the Solar System, please? Or, how could a wandering planet be captured into a solar system? Does it need some kind of collision? (I thought those were fully gravitational / orbital mechanics phenomena...)

You do not need an actual collision. It is sufficient with some gravitational deflection. Anything which changes the velocity of the object other than the background potential itself.

In a rotating coordinate system such as the one where the Lagrange points appear also makes it a bit more difficult to analyse due to the implied inertial forces.

Orodruin said:
You do not need an actual collision. It is sufficient with some gravitational deflection. Anything which changes the velocity of the object other than the background potential itself.

In a rotating coordinate system such as the one where the Lagrange points appear also makes it a bit more difficult to analyse due to the implied inertial forces.
Thank you again, Orodruin. :-) Unfortunately I'm still unsure about my original question. :-( Could an L(1,2,3) point capture some small asteroid or cloud of dust or gas and keep it there for some time? Is that what NASA is talking about when they mention the "23-day stability"?

They are talking about a typical time-scale on which the Lagrange points are unstable so that if you have an object placed there, the typical time taken to leave the Lagrange point would be of the order of that time.

1. How do the Lagrangian points 1, 2, and 3 form and why are they important?

The Lagrangian points, also known as L1, L2, and L3, are five special points in a two-body system where the gravitational forces of the two bodies balance out. This creates a stable equilibrium point where a smaller object can maintain its position relative to the two larger bodies. These points are important for space exploration and satellite missions, as they offer a relatively stable and energy-efficient location for spacecraft to orbit.

2. Are all Lagrangian points equally stable?

No, the stability of the Lagrangian points depends on their position relative to the two bodies in the system. L4 and L5, which are located on the same orbital path as the larger bodies, are the most stable points. L1, L2, and L3, which are located on the line connecting the two bodies, are less stable and can be affected by external forces.

3. What factors can affect the stability of the Lagrangian points?

The stability of the Lagrangian points can be affected by the mass and distance of the two bodies in the system, as well as the orbits and velocities of the objects at the points. External forces, such as the gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, can also impact the stability of these points.

4. Can objects stay permanently at the Lagrangian points?

In theory, objects can stay at the Lagrangian points indefinitely as long as they are not disturbed by external forces. However, the stability of these points is not absolute and objects may drift away over time due to the gravitational forces of the two bodies and other factors.

5. How do scientists monitor and study the stability of the Lagrangian points?

Scientists use various methods, such as computer simulations and mathematical models, to study and predict the stability of the Lagrangian points. They also use data from spacecraft and satellites orbiting the points to monitor any changes in their stability. Further research and observations are constantly being conducted to better understand the dynamics of these points.