How well can you know the momentum of the electron?

In summary, we have been discussing the hydrogen atom and its properties, specifically the radius of the lowest energy state and the momentum of the electron. We have also discussed the addition of energy to the system and its effect on the electron's momentum. Finally, we considered two transitions and their corresponding photons and the quantized nature of energy and angular momentum in the hydrogen atom. Further research is recommended for a better understanding of these concepts.
khorsani
Consider the hydrogen atom (proton and electron)...
1. the radius of the lowest energy state is about 5x10^(-11) m. How
well can you know the momentum of the electron? In your solution, show
that you get units of momentum.

2. If energy is added, so that the electron moves up to the fifth
energy level, will the electron have moreor less momentum? Explain
your reasoning.

3. Consider two transitions:
(a) from level 5 to level 2
(b) from level 3 to level 2
both transitions produce photons in the visible range, one in the red
and the other in the blue. Which transition goes with which photon??
Justify your reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the rules of the forum.

CaptainZappo said:
Read the rules of the forum.

Ok, here what we know so far:

1. the electron has angular momentum.
2. But only certain values of angular momentum which are multiples of Plank's constant.
3. the combination of quantized energy and quantized angular momentum picks out only certain allowed orbits
4. so: the wavefronts are "quantized", only certain orbits are possible, only certain energies are possible, only certain angular momenta are possible and the light is emitted in transitions between orbits.
5. (The electron isn't following orbital paths in hydrogen, it is confined to regions of space)
6. Only two electrons end up in every energy-and-angular momentum combination

here I'm a little lost in understanding all this, but I'll keep trying

anyway:
p = h/lambda kg x m/s
p = 6.63 x 10^(-34) m^2 x kg/s

But I'm really lost at this point. Before answering can anyone refer me to a site where I could read more about it?

Thanks

FAQ: How well can you know the momentum of the electron?

1. What is momentum in terms of electron movement?

Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In the case of electrons, it refers to their mass and speed as they move through space.

2. Can the momentum of an electron be accurately measured?

Yes, the momentum of an electron can be measured using various techniques such as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or through particle accelerators.

3. How does the momentum of an electron affect its behavior?

The momentum of an electron affects its behavior by determining its speed and direction of movement. It also plays a role in how electrons interact with other particles and objects.

4. Is the momentum of an electron constant?

No, the momentum of an electron can change depending on factors such as its speed, mass, and any external forces acting upon it.

5. How does the momentum of an electron relate to its energy?

The momentum of an electron and its energy are directly related through the equation E = p²/2m, where E is energy, p is momentum, and m is mass. This means that a change in momentum will result in a change in energy and vice versa.

Back