What Speed Does a 790kg Mass Need to Move a 1523kg Mass?

• Thread starter GracieBridger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the necessary velocity for a 790kg car to move a 1523kg car in various scenarios, including a collision and pulling with a rope. Additional factors such as friction on the road are also mentioned.
GracieBridger
How would I work out how fast a mass of 790kg would have be traveling to move a mass of 1523kg?

It's been a long time since I've done physics so any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
We need more information -- is the smaller mass colliding with the larger one? If so, is the collision elastic or inelastic? Or is the smaller mass pulling the larger one? Is there friction involved? Etc..

Hey mate the smaller mass is colliding with the larger one. The friction would be semi damp Tarmac which from what I've looked at already is 0.8?
I can't remember anything about technical terms in physics.
Basically I want to know how fast my car(pug 107-790kg) would have to travel to shunt the vehicle infront(vectra- 1524kg) if it was at a complete stand still.

Thanks for replying :)

Asked and answered in the general physics forum. Damp tarmac will drop the coefficient of friction down well below 0.8. The answer there was based on an assumption of dry pavement.

1, Suppose you have the 1523kg mass attached to the 790kg mass by a (very strong) rope and you start moving, then by the moment the 790kg mass will move the 1523 will also move...you will just need more power because you move a mass of ~1523+790 kg.

2. Suppose you want to crash into that 1523kg mass car with yours... then you just need to hit it... even with a very small velocity, you are going to give the other car some portion of it, depending on your cars' masses ratio ... if you want to give some certain velocity to the 1523kg car, then you just have to ask about it.

1) How do I calculate mass?

To calculate mass, you need to divide the force of an object by its acceleration. The formula for mass is mass = force/acceleration. You can also measure mass by using a scale or balance.

2) How do I calculate speed?

To calculate speed, you need to divide the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time. You can also measure speed by using a speedometer or stopwatch.

3) Can I solve for both mass and speed with one equation?

No, mass and speed are independent variables and cannot be solved for with one equation. You will need two separate equations, one for mass and one for speed, to solve for both variables.

4) What units should I use for mass and speed?

Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g), while speed is measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). It is important to use consistent units when solving for mass and speed.

5) How do I use mass and speed to solve for kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * mass * speed^2. This formula takes into account both the mass and speed of an object to determine its kinetic energy. Make sure to use the appropriate units for mass and speed when using this formula.