HP 50g Calculator [2 Quick Questions]

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Monocerotis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary: You can also delete the function, but this will also delete the equation from memory.)The stack operates like a "palette" where you can quickly select the operations you want to use. For example, to plot a function using the stack, you would open the Calc menu (white shift 4), select the "GRAPH" softkey, then the "PLOT" box. The window that pops up will list all the currently open applications (in this case, [Y7(X)] is the function you've entered). You can select the function by clicking on it.To erase a function, open the Calc menu (white shift 4), select the "GRAPH" softkey, then the "
Monocerotis
Gold Member
I've been using my calculator to graph a few functions.

When I go the plot function menu and add a new function at this point [Y7(X)=] will appear.

If I press [Choos] I will be able to select previous functions that I have entered and graphed.

I want to erase these functions, so that when I enter a new function it will be at [Y1(X)=]

I don't want to have to hard reset either as it takes some time to set up the computer back to my specifications, with flags and all.

Pressing [Erase] at the plot - function menu has no effect.

Pressing [DEL] will remove the function, but it is still in the calculator memory as I can recall it with [Choos]

I want them wiped clean so I can start from [Y1(X)=]

How can I do this ?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hello,
The beauty of the stack operating system used by the 50G (in RPN mode) is that you can very quickly plot a function (or list of functions) directly from the stack, entirely avoiding the tedium of having to use the "Y=" window. Here's how...
With your function (or list of functions) on level 1 of the stack, open the Calc menu (white shift 4) and select the "GRAPH", then "PLOT" softkeys (or choose boxes if that's the option you're using). The plot setup window will open, with your function(s) already in the "EQ" field.
Also, it's not necessary to preface your function with Y= .
Best Regards, Hal

Monocerotis said:
I've been using my calculator to graph a few functions.

When I go the plot function menu and add a new function at this point [Y7(X)=] will appear.

If I press [Choos] I will be able to select previous functions that I have entered and graphed.

I want to erase these functions, so that when I enter a new function it will be at [Y1(X)=]

I don't want to have to hard reset either as it takes some time to set up the computer back to my specifications, with flags and all.

Pressing [Erase] at the plot - function menu has no effect.

Pressing [DEL] will remove the function, but it is still in the calculator memory as I can recall it with [Choos]

I want them wiped clean so I can start from [Y1(X)=]

How can I do this ?

When you create functions, they are stored in memory. For example, if you have Y1(X), then the calculator stores the formula in a variable called Y1. Thus any new equation can be reused later on -- the calculator searches all variables that may qualify as a function when you use the [CHOOS] menu option.

You can find this variable (along with Y2, Y3, etc.) in the FILES application (press [left-shift] [APPS]). Find the variable name (its type will either be PROG for program, or ALG for algebraic) and delete it.

1. How do I reset my HP 50g calculator?

To reset your HP 50g calculator, press and hold the ON button for 5 seconds. This will reset the calculator to its default settings.

2. Can I transfer data from my HP 50g calculator to a computer?

Yes, you can transfer data from your HP 50g calculator to a computer using a USB cable and the HP Connectivity Kit software. This will allow you to backup and organize your data, as well as install new applications and updates.

3. How do I change the display contrast on my HP 50g calculator?

To adjust the display contrast on your HP 50g calculator, press and hold the ON button, and then use the arrow keys to adjust the contrast level. Release the ON button when the desired contrast level is reached.

4. Can I use the HP 50g calculator for graphing?

Yes, the HP 50g calculator has a built-in graphing feature that allows you to plot equations and functions. You can also customize the graph settings, such as the window size and style.

5. Is there a way to troubleshoot errors on the HP 50g calculator?

Yes, the HP 50g calculator has a built-in error checking feature that can help you identify and fix any errors in your calculations. To access this feature, press the left shift key, followed by the INFO button, and then select "Error Checking" from the menu.