HP42 calculator on your smartphone

In summary, the app "Free42" brings your old HP42 calculator back to life. It is compatible with iPhones and has a good keyboard.
berkeman
Mentor
A friend showed this to me today, and I downloaded it and am loving it. The HP42 was my favorite calculator, and after my latest one died many years ago, I hadn't been able to find any to buy (at a reasonable price). But now there is a free app that you can download to your phone that brings your trusty HP42 back to life! I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:

Get the app "Free42" from your apps store, or visit the developer's website here: http://thomasokken.com/

200px-Hp42s_face.jpe

Likes DrClaude, Borg and ProfuselyQuarky
Computer science news on Phys.org
That’s cool, @berkeman! I once used a really old one of those that I found in the garage and I was planning to use it for my schoolwork, but the screen was all faded and the calculator leaked ink. So I got a new TI calc to replace it.

I’ll definitely download this, though!

I'm a big fan of RPN, so having my trusty HP42 back is so nice! :smile:

Likes Dr.D
berkeman said:
The HP42 was my favorite calculator, and after my latest one died many years ago, I hadn't been able to find any to buy (at a reasonable price).
So I guess I couldn't interest you with this TI?

TI-30XA.jpg

Not if it has an equal sign = button... :smile:

(BTW, that is one WIDE monitor!)

Likes Integral and dlgoff
berkeman said:
Not if it has an equal sign = button... :smile:
Hard core all the way! :approve:

I have to post this funny follow-up for this old thread.

I've been using this HP42 app on my phone at work a lot the last couple of weeks, especially for converting between HEX and Decimal and doing detailed mixed calculations. I was about 3 levels deep in a calculation yesterday, concentrating hard on my calculations, and all of a sudden a text message beeped and the little message icon showed up in the upper corner of my HP42 app.

This confused me pretty badly at first -- I asked myself, "Why is there a text message showing up on my calculator?" It seriously took me about 10 seconds to back out of my intellectual fog and realize that I was holding my phone running a calculator app, instead of holding a calculator. Yoiks! o0)

Likes Stephenk53, dlgoff and Tom.G
@berkeman
Well since you brought up phones. You need to be careful walking around shopping centers, etc. Teenagers walking with phones can and will collide with ya. It's happened to me.
... a text message showing up ...
Evidently I'm going to have to be aware of old engineers too.

dlgoff said:
@berkeman
Well since you brought up phones. You need to be careful walking around shopping centers, etc. Teenagers walking with phones can and will collide with ya. It's happened to me.

Evidently I'm going to have to be aware of old engineers too.
A while ago I almost learned the hard way why it's a terrible idea to text while riding a bike down a hill at full speed, I didn't get hurt but I was lucky I didn't crash

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff - would you be as concerned if you saw someone collided with you while "3 levels deep in a calculation" on a real calculator? Or just think - THERE is a dedicated engineer! :wink:

Likes berkeman
Windadct said:
THERE is a dedicated engineer!
I see your point. Hopefully @berkeman knows me well enough to not ban me. :olduhh:

dlgoff said:
I see your point. Hopefully @berkeman knows me well enough to not ban me. :olduhh:

Don’t worry your TKD Guardian can protect you. If not Berk knows how to repair bans as part of his training.

Likes dlgoff
I thought one of the attractions of HP calculators was the tactile keys that let you feel that a key press has been properly registered without needing to see it on the display. When I was a kid I had the kid's HP calculator, the (algebraic input) HP 38G. Its operating system was sometimes slow, and I remember I could type in a fairly long sequence of keystrokes -- confident that they'd all been registered accurately -- and then watch as the calculator spent a moment or two to catch up and show the results on the display.

berkeman said:
I'm a big fan of RPN, so having my trusty HP42 back is so nice! :smile:

Hear! Hear! I could not agree more! RPN forever! I passed my own enthusiasm for RPN on to my daughter who is also an engineer and she would not dream of using anything else.

Likes berkeman
Well, there is a new upgraded DM 42s available from SwissMicros that you might consider. I bought a DM 41L from them and it has a pretty good keyboard (not quite Hp quality, but feels similar). The DM 42s is everything the Hp 42s should have incorporated. I do plan to acquire but my Hp 42s (with the ridiculous 32 K Ram upgrade) hasn't died so I am not as motivated as others.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
CalcNerd said:
DM 42s available from SwissMicros

Interesting! What the heck is that thing? A keyboard and display unit that runs Free 42? I need to know more! :smile:

https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42.php

Close but not quite on topic, is there a reliable HP-41cx app. I still have mine from 1982, and it still works. In fact, I have another that someone was throwing away, but it uses a different batter pack, while mine uses separate N batteries.

I noticed one app with an iOS compatibility issue, which relates to compatibility of apps with new phones. My iPhone is 6 years old, and I'm slowly losing functionality due to incompatibilities.

So this thread reminded me I meant to see if I could get a hold of one of these at some point.

IMG_20180530_194605.jpg

IMG_20180530_200304.jpg

... and together with a few of its siblings I collected over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_20180530_194605.jpg
    IMG_20180530_194605.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_20180530_200304.jpg
    IMG_20180530_200304.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 777
Likes DrClaude and berkeman

What is an HP42 calculator?

An HP42 calculator is a handheld scientific calculator manufactured by Hewlett-Packard. It was first introduced in 1979 and quickly became popular among scientists and engineers for its advanced functions and precision.

Can I use an HP42 calculator on my smartphone?

Yes, there are several apps available that emulate the functionality of an HP42 calculator on a smartphone. These apps often include additional features and customization options compared to the original calculator.

What are the advantages of using an HP42 calculator on a smartphone?

Using an HP42 calculator on a smartphone allows for easy portability and convenience. It also eliminates the need for carrying an additional device, making it a more efficient and practical option for scientists who frequently use a calculator.

Are there any limitations to using an HP42 calculator on a smartphone?

One potential limitation is the screen size of a smartphone, which may make it difficult to input and read complex equations. Additionally, some apps may not replicate all the features of the original calculator, so it's important to research and choose a reliable and comprehensive app.

Is an HP42 calculator on a smartphone as accurate as the original calculator?

Yes, most apps that emulate an HP42 calculator on a smartphone use the same algorithms and formulas as the original calculator, ensuring the same level of accuracy. However, it's important to use a reputable and well-developed app to ensure accuracy.