Where can I find free online resources to learn HTML, Javascript, and CSS?

In summary, there are many free online resources available for learning HTML, Javascript, and CSS. Some popular options include Codeacademy, W3Schools, and Mozilla Developer Network. These sites offer interactive tutorials, practice exercises, and reference guides for beginners and advanced users alike. Additionally, many universities and organizations offer free online courses and tutorials on these languages. It is also helpful to join online communities and forums to connect with other learners and receive support and feedback. With these resources, anyone can learn the fundamentals and advanced techniques of HTML, Javascript, and CSS for free.
The legend
I am trying to learn these web designing stuff on my own and am currently using
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp for HTML learning... and though i am well aware of the basics ..i need to know much in depth.

So do you guys have any good 'n' free online resources to learn HTML + Javascript + CSS etc.
And is the site I'm using good compared to others?

Technology news on Phys.org
w3schools is actually pretty good. Especially for css and html. Javascript is a different animal.

There are a few sites, like htmlsource, but honestly you need to target your learning to implementation specific topics.

Javascript is not really used and is not worth learning. Not as a skill set, but if you just want to learn, fine.

But my point is that you need to learn within the context of how it will be used. The biggest challenge is not learning syntax, it is understanding the proper technique for cross browser and cross platform development.

That is where you need to start working on basic implementations and testing them on various browers. Take a site that you like and try to emulate the functionality, or at least a subset.

Doing formatted layouts with menus that work across each browser is a massive challenge, but every website needs it.

Figuring out how to work various implementations will drive you to various websites that will help you and become a permenent source.

Thanks for the advice! :approve:
But I think javascript might be still used because PF does that too.

Thanks again!

The legend said:
Thanks for the advice! :approve:
But I think javascript might be still used because PF does that too.

Thanks again!

Javascript is used. A site like this uses software that builds the client from the server. Javascript is a small part of that, and you need to focus on server technologies that drive the front end.

Things like php, asp, and the .net and even java. Browsers are no longer thin clients, there are a lot of api's on the browser side to support distributed objects. Javascript is used, but it is just the tip of the iceberg.

That is why I say to focus on implementing various projects and you will slowly migrate towards the server side of things. And that is where you really need to end up.

ok, doing it, thanks a lot airborne.

airborne18 said:
Javascript is used. A site like this uses software that builds the client from the server. Javascript is a small part of that, and you need to focus on server technologies that drive the front end.

Things like php, asp, and the .net and even java. Browsers are no longer thin clients, there are a lot of api's on the browser side to support distributed objects. Javascript is used, but it is just the tip of the iceberg.

That is why I say to focus on implementing various projects and you will slowly migrate towards the server side of things. And that is where you really need to end up.

Woah, I didn't know Javascript wasn't used a lot. I thought it was used a lot, is it being replaced by AJAX or some other language? Oh and I saw JAVA in there, it's and awesome language!

And to The legend, I found a site for CSS that seems like a nice tutorial website. I haven't http://www.csstutorial.net/"

Last edited by a moderator:
MysticDude said:
is it being replaced by AJAX or some other language?

AJAX is JavaScript

Greg Bernhardt said:
AJAX is JavaScript
...no comment *facepalm*

MysticDude said:
Woah, I didn't know Javascript wasn't used a lot. I thought it was used a lot, is it being replaced by AJAX or some other language? Oh and I saw JAVA in there, it's and awesome language!

And to The legend, I found a site for CSS that seems like a nice tutorial website. I haven't http://www.csstutorial.net/"

Actually i was of the same opinion that javascript is widely used...

Anyway thanks for the website... will look into in.. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
airborne18 said:
Javascript is not really used and is not worth learning.

Says who? It's used a LOT. I by "a lot" I mean "Seriously, who is actually NOT using JavaScript?" Google? Facebook? Yahoo? Ebay? Amazon? Anyone? What's the largest website you can find that doesn't use JavaScript?

Now, you could argue that JavaScript isn't used in depth. I'd buy that. People don't typically write full-blown applications in JavaScript-- they use a backend system that's written in PHP, Perl, Python, Java, or what-have-you. And for a front-end system, they use Flash, Silverlight, Java, or some other client.

But JavaScript's very heavily used in small quantities everywhere.

DaveE

davee123 said:
Says who? It's used a LOT. I by "a lot" I mean "Seriously, who is actually NOT using JavaScript?" Google? Facebook? Yahoo? Ebay? Amazon? Anyone? What's the largest website you can find that doesn't use JavaScript?

Now, you could argue that JavaScript isn't used in depth. I'd buy that. People don't typically write full-blown applications in JavaScript-- they use a backend system that's written in PHP, Perl, Python, Java, or what-have-you. And for a front-end system, they use Flash, Silverlight, Java, or some other client.

But JavaScript's very heavily used in small quantities everywhere.

DaveE

Dave, I said it was not used, and you have actually clarified it for them.

Though Microsoft is going to come get you in the middle of the night, and lock you in a room until the only words you know are: VBScript, ASP, .NET

Not sure what a good learning resource for javascript outside of the w3 websites, but JQuery is a good library to use.
http://jquery.com/

1. What is HTML?

HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language and it is the standard markup language used for creating web pages. It is the backbone of every website and is responsible for the structure and content of a webpage.

2. What is Javascript?

Javascript is a programming language that is used to add dynamic and interactive elements to web pages. It is commonly used for creating animations, validating forms, and making web pages more user-friendly.

3. What is CSS?

CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and it is used for styling web pages. It allows web developers to control the layout, colors, fonts, and other visual aspects of a webpage. It is used in conjunction with HTML to create visually appealing and user-friendly websites.

4. How do HTML, Javascript, and CSS work together?

HTML, Javascript, and CSS work together to create a webpage. HTML defines the structure and content of the webpage, while CSS is used to style and format the webpage. Javascript is used to add interactivity and functionality to the webpage. Together, they create a dynamic and visually appealing website.

5. Are HTML, Javascript, and CSS difficult to learn?

It depends on the individual's learning style and previous experience with coding. HTML is relatively easy to learn and understand, while CSS and Javascript may require more practice and understanding of programming concepts. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn these languages and create their own websites.