Huygens principle at the boundary of a volume

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Ulises
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I have the next dude:

To utilize the Huygens principle at the boundary of a volume, do we need to know precisely material properties inside the volume?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I understand, Huygen's principle is outward looking. So the benefit is that you don't need to know anything about inside the volume, just the fields at the boundary.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ulises
RUber said:
As far as I understand, Huygen's principle is outward looking. So the benefit is that you don't need to know anything about inside the volume, just the fields at the boundary.
I think you first need to know the shape and position the wavefront before the secondary sources can be drawn. This probably means waiting until the beam emerges from the volume.