Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Huygens Principle in a String

Tags:
  1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    Hi All,

Is it correct to apply Huygens Principle to a situation in which a wave propagates in a string with fixed ends?
    I know Huygens principle is related to regular propagation e superposition properties of waves, and all these can be found in the string context, but I am not sure this explanation is enough.

Thank you all,

Best wishes,

DaTario

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2
    There are two principles of Huygens, as far as I am aware. The first one is the Principle of Superposition, which seems correct for the string. Waves are travelling in two directions on the string and at certain positions the amplitudes add together forming nodes. The second (which I notice Wikipedia now call the Huygens-Fresnel Principle) is used for diffraction problems; every point on a wave front may be considered as a source of secondary wavelets. This does not seem to apply to the string.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook