What Is the Ideal Approach Temperature for Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers?

In summary: On the one hand, if the tube is heated more than it's coolant, the metal will expand more as well, leading to potential tube failure. On the other hand, if the coolant is heated more than the metal, then the metal will contract and can cause deformations in the tube walls. In either case, there may be issues with the metal's ability to handle the stresses, leading to further failures.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I would appreciate some advice from "old hand" heat exchanger guys regarding "good design practice" on approach temperature for tube and shell .

Here's what's up:

A friend works in a solar plant.
Oil is heated in parabolic reflectors and used to preheat feedwater for a traditional combined cycle boiler.

The large heat exchanger was initially tubed backward so it operated parallel flow instead of counterflow. Thermal performance aside, it experienced lots of mechanical tube failures attributed to the significant temperature difference across the tubes.

They're replacing it now and correcting the plumbing error so it'll be counterflow.

The hot side is Dowtherm A* oil at low pressure, cold side is water at ~2700 psi.
Temperatures are as follows (Fahrenheit):
Oil Inlet 650 Water Outlet 645

Oil Outlet 595 Water Inlet 325

At the cold end the tubes still see 595-325 = 270 degF ΔT.

My friend's concern is that the mechanical failures will continue , for no basic change to the heat exchanger is planned just correct the plumbing error. We fear there might be "groupthink" afoot.

So my question is -

What are the effects of large delta-T across tubes in one end of a shell&tube heat exchanger?
Do above numbers seem high enough to warrant special design features?
What questions do we need to ask his design group?

I've read several design type papers on 'net and am okay with NTU, LMTD, etc
but have not stumbled across a nuts&bolts construction article yet that mentions high thermal stress across tubes. Will try to get more details about the exchanger - I'm not even sure yet if it's single pass or u-tube.
And being an electronics guy not a ME I'm short of vocabulary for search terms.

This is not homework, it's a real question from workingmen in industry.

* Dowtherm A datasheet:
http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_08a5/0901b803808a5b98.pdf?filepath=/heattrans/pdfs/noreg/176-01463.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc Thanks for any help -

old jim

979b9121-bd29-482d-8a2b-2947fd0c64a4_zps0e5cc1cc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first question to ask is "what is the nature of the mechanical failures in the existing design?"

With those numbers it must have been designed to handle the thermal stresses.

As an order of magnitude estimate, thermal expansion of metals is about ##10^{-5}## per degree C, so a 100C temperature change creates a strain of about 0.1%. For bigger temperature changes you soon reach the elastic limit of the material, if it can't expand freely.

But if the thermal design was screwed by the plumbing error, the thermal stresses may have been more severe than were designed for, and the material properties may be degraded more as well.

Another possible issue is vibration and fatigue problems - that's a different (and more complicated) ballgame!

Thanks guys

i'm far away from it, have asked my friend to join PF and help out with the questions.

Will post more details as I get them.

Reversed plumbing placing thermal stress on wrong mechanical parts sounds really plausible - thanks.
still working, old jim

Most such exchangers will have a floating head (or a U-tube design) so that the tube-sheets can expand. But that accounts for overall high running Temps. and the associated expansion on startup.

How deltaT across a tube affects things is a slightly different issue.

1. What is the Hx approach temperature?

The Hx approach temperature, also known as the temperature difference or delta T, is the difference between the hot and cold fluid temperatures at the inlet and outlet of a heat exchanger. It is a critical factor in determining the efficiency and performance of a heat exchanger.

2. How is the Hx approach temperature calculated?

The Hx approach temperature can be calculated by subtracting the cold fluid outlet temperature from the hot fluid outlet temperature. This value can then be compared to the design approach temperature to determine if the heat exchanger is operating efficiently.

3. What is the significance of the Hx approach temperature?

The Hx approach temperature is an important parameter in heat exchanger design and operation. It affects the overall efficiency and heat transfer rate of the exchanger, and a lower approach temperature indicates a more efficient heat transfer process.

4. How does the Hx approach temperature affect heat exchanger performance?

A lower Hx approach temperature means that the hot and cold fluids are closer in temperature, resulting in a more efficient heat transfer process. This can lead to increased heat transfer rates and lower energy costs.

5. What factors can influence the Hx approach temperature?

The Hx approach temperature can be influenced by several factors, including flow rates, fluid properties, heat exchanger design, and fouling. Changes in any of these factors can impact the approach temperature and the overall performance of the heat exchanger.