Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen atom data

1. Mar 14, 2014 #1

bobie

Gold Member

Can someone give me a link where I can find data on the size of an H atom (free and in main compounds like water)?
    If there is none can you tell me roughly the range of sizes or at least what is the ratio between a free atom and a bound atom.
    I know that for a free atom the radius is not the Bohr radius anymore , and that there is a cloud of probability, can you tell me what is the radius where probability is 95%?

If it is possible, I'd like to learn what is the official value of the magnetic field B of the ground state (1s), as on the web I found many contrasting values. I tried to calculate it myself and I got 1/8 Tesla, is that correct?
    I read also that angular moment in QM is 0, is it h/2pi in classical model?
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2014 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Hydrogen atoms aren't spheres and therefore don't have a unique radius. Rather, the definition depends on the application. You may look for the term "covalent radius".
    The 95% probability radius I would have to calculate myself:
    If r is measured in units of a (Bohr radii) then
    ## \int_0^{r_{95\%} }r^2 \exp(-r)dr=0.95\times \int_0^\infty r^2 \exp(-r)dr ##.
    Probably, Wolfram Alpha will solve that for ##r_{95\%}##.

I have never heard of the official value B field for hydrogen. Anyhow the magnetic moment vanishes both for a classical and a quantum mechnanical state with l=0, e.g. in Bohr-Sommerfeld theory.

4. Mar 14, 2014 #3

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks for the precious tip, I found r= 79 and covalent r 32
    As to the magnetig moment I found 9.285 * 10^-24 J/T
    If I divide that by μ which is (if I am not wrong q*v*r/2) h/4π, to I get the value of B?
    As to angular momentum (mvr) I think it is twice as the magnetic moment h/2pi

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook