1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen probability problem

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    I am having some trouble starting this one.
    Calculate the probability that a hydrogen 1s electron will be found within a distance 2a0 from the nucleus.

Any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

To start with, you need the wave function [itex]\psi[/itex] for the hydrogen 1s state. Do you have that? What do you do with a wave function in order to calculate a probability?

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    So, since the wavefunction for 1s has only the r variable, would I square it first and then integrate from 0 to 2a0?

5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    This is what I have so far. I used the wavefunction (1/sqrt(pi))*(Z/a0)^3/2*exp(-Zr/a0)
    I multiplied this by itself and by r^2 and then integrated from 0 to 2a0.
    I got a long answer so I'm not sure if this is correct. I got
    (exp(-4Z)/8Z^3)*[2(a0)^3*(-8Z^2-5)] + (2a^3/8Z^3)

If someone can check my work, that would be great
    Thank you

6. Jan 22, 2008 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Remember Z = 1 for hydrogen so you can simplify your equations a little bit. You've got the right [itex]\psi[/itex] . Squaring it gives you the probability density [itex]P[/itex]. This is the probability per unit volume so you have to integrate over all three dimensions [itex](r,\theta,\phi)[/itex] in spherical coordinates. The volume element in spherical coordinates is [itex]r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi[/itex]. So you still need the [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] integrals which are pretty easy:

[tex]P = \int_{r=0}^{r=2a_0} \int_{\phi=0}^{\phi=2\pi} \int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} P(r,\theta,\phi}) r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Remember you can check the r integral by taking the derivative of the indefinite integral (before substituting the limits). I haven't had time to work it out myself yet... looks like integration by parts. Actually I normally look it up in a table of integrals. :redface:

7. Jan 23, 2008 #6
    Okay, I got the probability will be .7616. If someone can check if thats correct, I would appreciate it.

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7
    nobody can check for me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?