Hydrogen from Methane: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter elixer akm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary, hydrogen can be produced from methane by using steam at high temperatures. There is not a big demand for H as a rocket fuel, so it's not used in industry to make ammonia hydrochloric acid. Methane pyrolysis can also be used on any other hydrocarbon, while microwave energy can be used to trap hydrogen in the Earth's crust.
elixer akm
Is there any possibility of getting hydrogen from methane,since it contain 4 hydrogen atom per molecule...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes ...involves the use of steam at high temperatures ,an industrial process , not suited for home production
CH4 + H2O → CO + 3 H2
CO + H2O → CO2 + H2

An easy way to produce at home is the reaction of aluminium and sodium hydroxide , both easily obtained.

So my questio is why its not used for industrial production of hydrogen...we can use it as propellant in rocket

elixer akm said:
why its not used

Where did you got the information that it is not used from?

elixer akm said:
So my questio is why its not used for industrial production of hydrogen...we can use it as propellant in rocket

Did you not read the link I gave?

Drakkith said:
Did you not read the link I gave?
Sorry i didnt see that ...and that's what i looking for thanks...

elixer akm said:
the link says "Today, 95% of the hydrogen produced in the United States is made by natural gas reforming in large central plants" ...

There's not a big demand for H as a rocket fuel , not many people have rockets ...used in industry to make ammonia hydrochloric acid ...

There are other ways to extract hydrogen from natural gas, with solid carbon as the waste product. One way is called methane pyrolysis.
Fossil fuels are a potentially abundant source of hydrogen, which can be separated from natural gas with solid carbon as the waste product. The process is called methane pyrolysis. Can also work on any other hydrocarbon including waste plastic. Chemical company BASF has a pilot plant in Germany, see https://tinyurl.com/2hk8tzzv Another approach is to heat catalysts with microwave energy in the presence of natural gas. Go to the 29:10 mark in the following video: There are other approaches as well. Finally, it appears that hydrogen is trapped in the Earth's crust and can be drilled out. If such natural hydrogen is abundant, this would probably be the cheapest source of hydrogen. See Cheers !

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mining-waste-for-cheaper-hydrogen-fuel-production.1006917/

1. Can hydrogen be produced from methane?

Yes, hydrogen can be produced from methane through a process called steam reforming. This involves reacting methane with steam at high temperatures to produce hydrogen gas and carbon monoxide.

2. Is hydrogen production from methane a sustainable process?

While it is possible to produce hydrogen from methane, it is not considered a sustainable process. This is because methane is a non-renewable fossil fuel and its extraction and production can have negative environmental impacts.

3. What are the advantages of producing hydrogen from methane?

Producing hydrogen from methane can provide a relatively cheap and abundant source of hydrogen gas. It is also a well-established industrial process and can be easily scaled up for large-scale production.

4. Are there any challenges in producing hydrogen from methane?

One of the main challenges in producing hydrogen from methane is the release of carbon dioxide during the process. This contributes to greenhouse gas emissions and can offset the environmental benefits of using hydrogen as a clean fuel source.

5. What are some alternatives to producing hydrogen from methane?

There are several alternatives to producing hydrogen from methane, including electrolysis, biomass gasification, and solar water splitting. These methods use renewable energy sources to produce hydrogen without the release of carbon dioxide.